Need help with new chick - droopy wings!

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've just gotten the poor things from the post office after a hard three day trip. One of the five was dead upon arrival, and one is showing signs of weakness. She's got droopy wings and is mostly just laying down. She peeps when picked up, and has gotten her beak dipped in the electrolyte water. She's taken drinks on her own also, but isn't eating the food put down.

Is there anything I can do to help her along?

Thank you!

PS - brooder temp is between 95 and 100, chicks moving in and out of the light, so seems to be ok.

I just picked mine up at the PO at 5:30 this morning, after 3 long days as well. I am not far from Seattle. All 4 were alive, but I am having the same problem with one of them that you are having. Her wings are drooping and she is very lethargic, mostly laying down. Took 1 drink of water since I got her. Won't eat. I've been trying to get her to drink a little sugar water dropped from a syringe onto the corner of her mouth, but she definitely doesn't like that! She wouldn't touch the GrowGel or moistened crumbles or regular crumbles. Hope someone can help...I'm eager to see the responses as well!

Wow, wish my PO would have called me that early! I had to keep checking in with them and wasn't allowed to pick mine up until 9am. Granted, I don't think this PO has ever heard of such an odd thing as a live chick delivery, but even after I called to confirm it had arrived, it took them a while to find the box once I arrived for pickup. And I could hear it peeping when I walked in the door. Odd. The ladies in line behind me joked that its no wonder various packages get lost in transit if they have trouble keeping track of one that's talking to them! :)

Anyway, any help with the sick chick would be appreciated. I keep checking on her every 20 minutes or so, and while she will shake herself and stand up once in a while, she is awfully wobbly and not eating. I'm hoping the Sav-a-chick electrolytes will kick in and give her a boost.

scramble up and egg, allow it to cool down and offer her little pieces. I've found the protien in the egg helps the little fuzzies get picked up a bit. If you have grow gel, the electrolytes and sugar water, then I think you're about as prepared as you can be. Sometimes nature just takes over and you lose one for no reason.

Thank you! Will try the egg. I was able to get her to take numerous droppers full of sugar water, and after I put her back under the heat lamp, she started pecking for food for the first time. Yay!!! :)

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say hi. I got my first batch of chicks today and I live near Seattle.

3 days shipping was too long for some of them. I'm sure the cold weather this week didn't help.

:( 16 chicks in the box, 2 doa and 2 passed within the first hour of having them home. The rest are doing great.

Alliwali, that's so sad about your dead chicks.
sad.png
3 days is a long time, and it sounds like all of ours suffered for it. I was surprised mine were all alive on arrival. I'm glad yours others are doing great now!

Kristenm1975, so glad yours has perked up! I tried the scrambled eggs as was suggested but mine just pecked at it once and turned away. She doesn't seem interested in food at all. I will continue to give her droppers of sugar water and hope for the best. I would hate to lose her.

Turns out we don't have any eggs here so I just have continued to give her sugar water every two hours. Each time, she perks right up and starts eating, but then when I come back in again for the next feeding, she's face-planted and wobbly, not up and pecking around like the other three. I have hope though since she is actually eating.

Good luck with your droopy one, and very sorry to hear about the ones that died in transit. Yes, I think those storms were pretty bad timing for the babies, but thank goodness for the ones that were tough enough to make it through.

How are you chicks doing? I had another one die last night. I notice it having a droopy wing earlier in the day but it seems to be doing better. Guess not.

I'm down to 11 out of 16 in the shippment. I don't like those odds. Plus I'm tired of explanining it to my kids.

I currently have 1 seperate because it is very aggresive. It is upset that it can't be with its friends but then attacks them. Strange enough, it didn't attack the sick one.

I live in an apartment and can't keep the chicks at home so I'm having them stay at my dad's in the country, but when I tucked them all into their new home last night, I was pleased with the formerly droopy one's condition. She is still a bit wobbly, but is actively picking at food, drinking her water, and exploring her surroundings. I think give high enough temps, plenty of food and more warm electrolyte water, she's going to be good as new.

I had a Sicillian Buttercup in last weeks batch of chicks that was doing the same droopy wing thing and was delighted to see, upon visiting my dad's last night, that she's entirely improved also. Running around strong just the others. I'm hoping it proves the same with this week's chick.

Good luck with the rest of yours!

Back
Top Bottom