Need help with pastry please

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
Any advise would be appreciated ! I am Tired of paying for frozen pastry and I usually buy flaky pastry for my meat pies...I tried making a shortcrust last night and it was tough as could be...surely it can't be that hard to make? I don't have a food processer (I have seen a few recipes that say to use one) I want to make both shortcrust and flaky..please

For a flakey pie crust, I use the recipe out of my Betty Crcker cookbook. BUT- I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening (Crisco). butter makes it tastey, Shortening makes it flakey.

Measure 2 cups of flour into bowl.
Stir in 1 teasooon of salt.

Using a 2 cup glass measuring cup - fill with 1 cup of cold water. Add shortening to measure 1/3 cup. Dump out the water and drop shortening into the bowl with the flour. Add 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of butter.

Cut solids into flour with a pastry knife until it the particles are the size of small peas.

Add COLD water into dough - 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring in with a fork until pastry almost cleans the sides of the bowl. About 4 - 5 tablespoons. I fill teh same glass measuring cup that I used to measure the shortening with cold water and measure out of that, it is alot easier than trying to measure a tablespoon at a time from the faucet.

Gather the pastry into a ball and presstogether. Wrap with plastic wrap and put in fridge for 1 hour - make 2 balls for a double crust.

Last edited:
Thank you wyoDreamer for taking the time to do that for me! I will try this as soon as I can....I think..apart from not using crisco aswell (as you suggested) and I didnt ball it up and refridgerate before rolling it out...thats why mine was so dreadfull LOL practice makes perfect eh? Thanks again

Make sure it is just wet enough to pack together into a ball. Working it too much will make it tough.
also, I roll mine between two sheets of wax paper. It makes it easier to transfer into the pie plate.

I looked at my directions: ONLY 1/3 cup of shortening !! you can use lard instead of crisco also, I usually can't find any in the store.

Back
Top Bottom