Need help with quails Texas a&m

towmater

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Ok so I'm new to quail what do you feed them at 4 weeks old and when do you switch over and then what do you feed them than. I have a bunch of chickens do you feed them what you feed a chick? Thanks for the help

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about quail (never had any), but they sure are cute little birds. I would suggest posting this question on our Quail section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail where our quail experts can help you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your quail.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Michael gave you a link to the quail section, I'd suggest you ask there, if you haven't already :). For chickens/chicks you'll need chick starter, once they are a few weeks old, switch to grower and for mature chickens you have a few options. Laying hens will need layer feed, which cockerels can also eat, or an all flock feed. If you feed the latter the hens will need a calcium supplement in the form of crushed oyster/egg shells. There are some more discussions on the different feeds and feeding methods in this section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

Also look at the Learning Center for info on raising chickens, keeping them healthy, predator protection and much more. Enjoy the site!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You will want to keep them on gamebird starter feed until they are about 7 to 9 weeks of age. You can then reduce the protein content to 24% grower or maintenance feed. Do not feed layer feed to your males so just offer oyster shell on the side for the hens to pick through.

Definitely stop by our quail section for more help with your A&M's. Enjoy them and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your quail! I've never raised them, but think they would be interesting little birds to have.

Back
Top Bottom