Need help with Racoon Baby!

Avalon1984

Songster
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
Muskegon
I think we accidentaly trapped mom last week but we have been having racoon babies fall out of our willow tree and into our chicken run for the past 2 days! The first baby didn't make it and now we have #2 that fell down today and he is very lively. We went and bought him kitten formular and he likes to eat and. His energy level ahs risen too. He already has all his hair and his eyes are open but when we tried to release him he was very unsteady on his feet and wouldn't have made it alone. Now we have it in a dog kennel where we can keep it warm. Does anybody have any idea on what to do? Already called the State Park and DNR, not sure if we'll hear back until Monday
hu.gif

Looks like you'll have to keep it for at least a few more days. Sounds like it definitely is too young to release. Do you have a wildllife rescue group in your area?

Looked all over the yellow pages and online and no such luck. Last time I brought a sick squirrel to the state park they ended up just putting it down which was pretty sad. Will keep on looking. Are we doing OK with the kitten formular so far? He seems pretty active and making funny noises.
hide.gif

There should be a 24 hour animal emergency somewhere in your area- these clinics often are a safe drop off for wildlife- the vets examine and or treat and the animal is held until the licensed rehabber can pickup. the staggering is concerning- possibly head trauma or maybe Glucose related-
Good Luck
smile.png

Quote:
I agree, thank you JP. He did fall quite a ways from our tree and got caught in the wire of the chicken fencing so at least he did land somewhat safely instead of just droppign right to the ground. We caught him mom last Friday and his sibling went down Wednesday and he fell down today. So far I have called 3 places but no answer. Maybe it's a Friday night thing? Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow. Than you very much!

Hang onto it until you can find a rehabber or wild life rescue. It will not survive on it's own at such a young age. Poor lil guy. However, mama deserved it - chicken killers.

I've raised 3. With that being said- I've also sent several on to that big cottonwood tree in the sky. Kitten formula is fine. Try giving him some kitten chow - just a few pieces at first and see how he tolerates it. Here in Nebraska you need a permit to keep them. they never ever loose the need to kill so keep that in mind. No matter how cute - they still grow up to be killers and can do a lot of damage in a short period of time.

Good luck - btw- the funny little noises are totally normal- and can be pretty endearing and sweet.

Joni

Kitten milk is good for him.Try some kitten chow.That is the main food we use for the young coons.Put a handful in with him to see if he munches on it.moving around decently,he should be old enough to start on it.The rehabbers or vet clinics should be able to help you.

Back
Top Bottom