Need help with selecting a meat bird

If there is an Amish community close, I would check their prices on broiler feed or any other animal feed. I pay $16 for 100 lbs vs $14 for 50 lbs from Tractor Supply or local feed stores. I'm in northern Mich and we have an Amish community about 40 miles from me. It's worth the drive for me.

I ended up ordering 15 Red-Bro Broilers and can't wait for them to come!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
What is the meat yield like in comparison to the Cornish X? Also, how long to they take to reach butcher size? Sounds like a good bird. Just looked up the link. Anything else you can say about them would be great. I like my Cornish X's, but a couple of them have already died and I'm only at week 5. We'll see how it goes by butcher time at hotter weather approaches this week. I'm at about $7/bird, not counting my coop building costs.
http://www.jmhatchery.com/Red-Bro-Broilers-p5.html

Edit- Nevermind, I just found the thread about them!

Last edited:
Whoa, $7 a bird a week five not counting your coop costs? I hope that everything works out for you!
yippiechickie.gif

At the time, I "chickened out" and had problems with the idea of processing them. Over time, it's not so bad now.

Suzy

Quote:
I just ordered some for June 2nd.. This is my first time.. any advice would be great.. Like how much room do 50 straight run need and how many weeks before they goto market (grin), do they need to be in an outside run? I want good meaty tender juicy chickens..

I've been told the Dumor 24% is great food , finishing with corn /mix the last couple weeks..

do I drop the protein level somewhere in their lifespan.. short as it is.. Got to keep joking or I'll never beable to eat them..

Quote:
I wonder why they are named "White Mountain"? I don't see any sources of them that are located in New Hampshire and no mention of them being developed in New Hampshire.

Back
Top Bottom