Need help with Sexing my Sussex Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by UKCHICKTINA, Dec 13, 2013.

1. UKCHICKTINA

UKCHICKTINA New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Derbyshire, UK
    Hi, this is a new experience for me, and so far am loving it. I have 5 lovely three week old chicks. 4 Light Sussex and 1 Buff Sussex. They are all adorable, but i need some advice on sexing them. I've read loads of blogs, and listened to lot of peeps telling me what to look for, and still dont know - maybe its still too early to tell, but would really appreciate some feedback. Ive posted 2 pics, one is Bess (or Brian lol) my Buff and the other is Suki (or Stanley) the Light Sussex ! Any idea's guys??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your buff bird looks like a pullet, based off of comb size and color. However, the white one has a larger redder comb and thicker legs, so my guess would be cockerel. They are both very cute. [​IMG]

*Edited to change my guess on the white one "pullet" to "cockerel"*

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  3. UKCHICKTINA

UKCHICKTINA New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Derbyshire, UK
    Hi, Thankyou for replying, Do you mean though that you think the white one looks like a Roo?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. But I think you probably meant cockerel, not pullet ("white one has a larger redder comb...guess would be pullet.")

5. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I'd say the buff is a pullet and I think they meant to say cockerel as well. Thick legs and red comb typically are the give away on that one.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you're right. I meant to say cockerel. [​IMG]

7. UKCHICKTINA

UKCHICKTINA New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Derbyshire, UK
    Thanks Guys, i too think the white one is a cockerel, but that means i have only 1 little lady and 4 little boys [​IMG]out of my 5 eggs, how unlucky is that !! Thankyou very much for your replies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by