Need help with Sexing my Sussex Chicks

UKCHICKTINA

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Derbyshire, UK
Hi, this is a new experience for me, and so far am loving it. I have 5 lovely three week old chicks. 4 Light Sussex and 1 Buff Sussex. They are all adorable, but i need some advice on sexing them. I've read loads of blogs, and listened to lot of peeps telling me what to look for, and still dont know - maybe its still too early to tell, but would really appreciate some feedback. Ive posted 2 pics, one is Bess (or Brian lol) my Buff and the other is Suki (or Stanley) the Light Sussex ! Any idea's guys??

Hi, this is a new experience for me, and so far am loving it. I have 5 lovely three week old chicks. 4 Light Sussex and 1 Buff Sussex. They are all adorable, but i need some advice on sexing them. I've read loads of blogs, and listened to lot of peeps telling me what to look for, and still dont know - maybe its still too early to tell, but would really appreciate some feedback. Ive posted 2 pics, one is Bess (or Brian lol) my Buff and the other is Suki (or Stanley) the Light Sussex ! Any idea's guys??

Your buff bird looks like a pullet, based off of comb size and color. However, the white one has a larger redder comb and thicker legs, so my guess would be cockerel. They are both very cute.
smile.png

*Edited to change my guess on the white one "pullet" to "cockerel"*

Last edited:
Your buff bird looks like a pullet, based off of comb size and color. However, the white one has a larger redder comb and thicker legs, so my guess would be pullet. They are both very cute.
smile.png
I agree. But I think you probably meant cockerel, not pullet ("white one has a larger redder comb...guess would be pullet.")

I'd say the buff is a pullet and I think they meant to say cockerel as well. Thick legs and red comb typically are the give away on that one.

Thanks Guys, i too think the white one is a cockerel, but that means i have only 1 little lady and 4 little boys
barnie.gif
out of my 5 eggs, how unlucky is that !! Thankyou very much for your replies
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom