Need help with sick chicken

You can check for mites and lice, preferably at night. Many of us worm chickens routinely, though many others don't, or don't use products like Valbazen or Safeguard that will kill them all. If you live in a warm, wet area, worms are that much more likely. Here are a few links you may find useful.

It's a good idea to put a location in your postbit. Just go to your profile and find "location." It can be relevant to a lot of questions.

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-i-wait-after-using-wazine/0_20#post_12410869

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...solated-rarely-moving-bird/0_20#post_13176194

Is she having any poops that look different? I would also just check her vent to see if she could be egg bound. There wouldn't have been anything in your table scraps that would cause botulism. It mainly comes from something in the ground that has been rotting and closed up without the presence of air. You know how chickens can dig things up that have been underground. I would check everyone out for lice and mites, and as Judy said you may want to worm them with a safe wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer that you give each chicken orally. Keep in mind that she could have Mareks disease, since those two diseases can look a lot alike. Chickens with botulism that live more than 2 days, may recover with supportive care. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Update, she is still alive. seems the same. She has had no poops since in the hosp crate. Sometimes when I check on her she looks alert. sitting in a nesting position. the next she is laying on her back with ridged legs, but will open eyes and if u pick her up she squirms and hollars at u in protest. So she never is unconscious. She is a white chicken, so have looked at her. I see no bugs on her. No blood around vent or anywhere else. crop feels empty. but have not looked for egg bound. Can you see that? What should I look for. She cant stand, so cant tell if she would stand with legs wide apart.

I got some probiotics and electrolytes for chicks and mixed in a gallon of water. I held her and gave her some with a syringe. She didn't like it but would swallow it when I put drops on side of beak. Sometimes comb looks pale and then other times it looks like the red is coming back and she perks up alittle. I have 5 others chickens around the same age and they all seem fine so far.

Update , she is still with us.........been giving her the electrolyte and protonics water all day with syringe...........she doesn't like it very well and it is hard to get her to take it, so I decided to take a piece of watermelon to her and I put some of the solution in the watermelon. She CHOWED on it. Not sure if this will help things, but at least I feel like I am getting fluids in her.

She looks like a normal chicken that is extremely drunk.

thanks again to everyone

For egg binding, you have to put on gloves, lub up and stick your finger in her vent and feel around carefully to see if there's an egg... I'm glad she's hanging in there!!
1f603.png

Hi everyone, Just wanted to give update on my chicken. She is still alive, but no improvement. We are giving her Corrid now as she had some poops that looked little bloody. We give it with syringe because she wont take it herself. We have been getting her to eat some feed and watermelon which, I am hoping helps with hydration.

a new thing she is doing is her legs seem to be getting stiff. when she is in a nesting position they want to stick straight out in front. Other times we find her on her back with legs sticking up. I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has seen this. She does have a brighter comb today, but still no improvement.

Thanks again
Nancy

yes, the more I read, and seeing the pics of Marek's. chickens, the more I think that might be what we are dealing with.

The rest of my flock still seems ok. If it is Marek's, can I expect others to come down with it?

I'm sorry, I don't have pics of poops.

Thanks
Nancy

Back
Top Bottom