need help with sick hen

kaleseitan

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
My four year old easter egger has been acting off the last few weeks. She barely eats, but she is drinking. I havent seen one of her eggs in months. Her poops are white and yellowish and all over her butt. I tried deworming her and it seemed to help some. She perked up for a day and then went right back to standing alone hunched over. Currently im treating the flock with corid. Is there something else I should try?

My four year old easter egger has been acting off the last few weeks. She barely eats, but she is drinking. I havent seen one of her eggs in months. Her poops are white and yellowish and all over her butt. I tried deworming her and it seemed to help some. She perked up for a day and then went right back to standing alone hunched over. Currently im treating the flock with corid. Is there something else I should try?

In the last hour her abdomen has become large and swollen.
Do you have photos of your hen and her poop?

What did you deworm her with (product and dose)?

I'd work on hydration, see if she will eat some wet soupy food. I'd be inclined to give her extra calcium for a few days, you can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Can you feel inside the vent for an egg? You mention her abdomen is swollen and large - is that below the vent between her legs? Does is feel like fluid? Ascites (Fluid) can often accompany reproductive disorders.

Corid will treat Coccidiosis, do you feel that is an issue for your flock?

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Do you have photos of your hen and her poop?

What did you deworm her with (product and dose)?

I'd work on hydration, see if she will eat some wet soupy food. I'd be inclined to give her extra calcium for a few days, you can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Can you feel inside the vent for an egg? You mention her abdomen is swollen and large - is that below the vent between her legs? Does is feel like fluid? Ascites (Fluid) can often accompany reproductive disorders.

Corid will treat Coccidiosis, do you feel that is an issue for your flock?

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
I used safeguard to deworm her. She perked up and started acting better for about a day and then she went downhill. I was trying to treat for anything that could possibly be the cause.

She’s been drinking and she’s eaten a little. Her abdomen isn’t soft, it feels like two eggs are in there. She’s been sitting like a penguin most of the day. I’ve given her some extra calcium. She has no energy to stand or move.

Sounds like she's suffering from a reproductive problem. It may be cancer, internal laying, EYP, etc. hard to know unless you lose her and the abdomen is opened up.

Sometimes hens will perk up after a little while, other times they will continue to decline.
I'm sorry she's not doing any better.

Back
Top Bottom