Need help with sick/injured chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karrajackson, Feb 28, 2017.

1. karrajackson

karrajackson New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    I will try to be very detailed.

1. Speckled Sussex hen about 9 months old
    2. Wing injury to what I believe was a predator. Got her right behind right wing. I have a premier 1 chicken fence, but fence charger wasn't working. So came through fence.
    3. Put her inside in basement to treat her. Was fairly deep wound could see muscle and tendons connected to neck.
    4. On advice of vet treated her with neisporin ointment and daily rinse.
    5. Wound never got infected and started healing. At that point she was eating/drinking normally.
    6. She has been in basement 5 weeks.
    7. Last week she started not eating on her own and appeared to be going blind.
    8. I have been able to give her water with either corrid or apple cider vinegar through a syringe. Most days she will drink a small amount of that.
    9. Past couple of days she has lost her strength so lays down with eyes closed.
    10. I have checked for egg bound and impacted crop. It doesn't seem to be that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome to BYC
    I'm sorry you are having trouble.

What have you been feeding her?
    At 9months does she lay eggs?
    What does she do that makes you think she is going blind?
    Do you feel like she has Coccidiosis?

If you have vet care, that would be best.

You mention that you are giving her either Corid or ACV - does she have symptoms of Coccidiosis - why the Corid?

Try upping her vitamin intake by adding vitamins to her water or you can give a direct dose of something like Poultry Nutri-Drench (1cc per 3lbs.) If she is unable to drink either syringe or tube fluids in her- dehydration comes quickly. Encourage her to eat and add some protein to her diet with egg or tuna.

Stress from an injury can cause symptoms of certain illnesses to appear. Marek's can cause symptoms of blindness - do you see anything odd about her eyes?

Let us know how she is doing.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by