Need help with skinny goose

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by birdnerd99, Nov 13, 2013.

1. birdnerd99

birdnerd99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi everyone I'm new to byc and I need help with my goose. She is a Embden and I got her in May and she has worms and I gave her some puppy dewormer and so far she's doing ok but she is so skinny and I can't seem to put the weight back on. I feed all my birds scratch grains but I am wondering if I should give her higher protein food? Any suggestions?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would also recommend the Geese section. Scratch grain alone seems like it would be an unbalanced ration.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe the puppy wormer (I assume for roundworms) didn't fit with what she needs done. Have you seen round worms from her or just guessing? She may have another type. Have you checked her out for mites and lice, that can debilitate poultry fast. She does need food meant for her species. I hope she will do better after all the suggestions on here.

Did the puppy wormer eliminate any roundworms? Usually worming(of any type) requires a second treatment afterwards.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

6. Birdlady8921

Birdlady8921 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Atascadero, CA
    My Coop
    Hi. Welcome to BYC :) I have had geese for over 20 years. Scratch does not have any beneficial nutrients. It is mainly used to digest the proper food in the crop of the goose. Go buy some good medicated pellets at your local feed store and if you don't have grass for the goose, then cut up some greens from your grocery store; such as kale, spinach, romaine lettuce. They love bits of fruit, also. And if your goose does have worms, use poultry deworming medication, also from your local feed store. Dog wormering meds are specifically designed for dogs. Birds have a much more delicate digestive system than dogs.

Good luck :) Hope your goose gets plumper and healthier. They are excellent watch birds and fun pets.

7. Birdlady8921

Birdlady8921 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Atascadero, CA
    My Coop
    Hi. Welcome to BYC :) I have had geese for over 20 years. Scratch does not have any beneficial nutrients. It is mainly used to digest the proper food in the crop of the goose and is just corn. No "real" nutrition. Go buy some good medicated pellets at your local feed store and if you don't have grass for the goose, then cut up some greens from your grocery store; such as kale, spinach, romaine lettuce. They love bits of fruit, also. And if your goose does have worms, use poultry deworming medication, also from your local feed store. Dog wormering meds are specifically designed for dogs. Birds have a much more delicate digestive system than dogs.

Good luck :) Hope your goose gets plumper and healthier. They are excellent watch birds and fun pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by