Need help with the bills so thinking about eggs

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ninny, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    We are thinking about selling eggs. I have people willing to buy. Is there anything i should be aware of? What do you charge? Do you supply the cartons or no? Is there a different price if they return them or not? What color eggs seem to sell best? I was thinking of doing some sort of rewards program. If they buy so many they get a dozen free or something. There is a couple of people selling where i am. So i have to be different. I am getting most of my sells from church and word of mouth. I was trying to think of something to help with bills and this came to mind.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The only downfall to selling eggs that I can think of is that people aren't pleased when they want to buy eggs and you don't have any to sell. In the winter egg production really drops and people don't understand that.

I charge $1.50 a dozen for my eggs, which is really too cheap. But, I myself would not pay more than that for eggs, so I don't expect other people to. Another lady I know charges $2.50 a dozen.

I have my own supply of egg cartons. If you don't have a lot of cartons, give people a discount when they bring their own cartons.

When most people think of fresh eggs, they think of brown eggs. They love green or blue eggs as well.

Also, you have to charge enough for the eggs to cover the costs of feeding the chickens, or you're just wasting time.

3. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I sell for $2.00 a doz and $1.50 with return carton. I have no problem selling and in fact am backordered about 5 doz. right now. [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I get 3.00 per dozen because people LOVE the different colors I have. I have everywhere from white to a very dark brown (wellie) and I also have blue and green. For some reason us women really go for those rainbow of colors [​IMG] I used to buy for the very same reason LOL AND even walmart sells their brown eggs for almost 4.00 a dozen. Don't short change yourself. People just give me their cartons back to refill and I don't offer any free eggs. Everyone we sell to understands that were not making any money on them but paying for their food, DE, cracked corn candy, pumpkins (in season), watermelon, etc...etc...

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I checked out the prices at the local store before pricing my eggs. Look at the prices for the organic or free-range eggs and go from there. I bought cartons, but our feed store has a recycle bin for them and you can take all you need. I tried to pick the cleanest neatest ones for use, and if I could, put my own sticker over the other labels. My customers always return their cartons, usually in excellent shape, so that one box of cartons has lasted almost a year already.
    Our local feed store buys them from us at $3.00/dozen and then sells them for $3.75-$4.00/dozen (when I have any to sell). I charge my oldest client's $3.50, but new clients will pay $4.00 gladly. I've had several people tell me I don't charge enough. Of course, our feed prices are way higher than the L48... Usually around $18-$20/50lb sack. So the higher prices are justified here.

I can say from my own experience that if you want to rely on them to help pay for their own feed, then only keep younger hens. We either cull or sell the 2 year old hens when the youngsters start laying. We have only two hens that are 3 years old, but they still lay consistently. It is not cost effective to keep feeding older birds that only give you an egg or three a week. But it all depends on your own situation, feed prices, number of birds, etc. [​IMG] But it's a lot of fun to share the fresh eggs with others - satisfying - and especially when they pay for their own food. [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I get 3.00 a dozen for my free range, organic feed eggs. (I sell blue, cream and brown eggs)

I have people save old egg carton and give them to me instead of recycling them. I reuse these carton, and tell people to be sure to bring back the cartons. I haven't had any issues with people throwing out the cartons yet.

I mostly sell to people i work with, and people who live near by.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I have also seen posted before about customers wanting LARGE eggs only. You need to tell them (customer) they get what the chickens give you. I would start out with $2.00 a dozen (or what ever the selling rate is in your area). Discount for returned cartons and the reward program sounds appealing. Just be sure that you are going to be able to have the eggs available when they are in command. Good Luck [​IMG]

8. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Thanks!! Im going start small and go from there. Is there any laws i need to be aware of?

9. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    Quote:You definately need to check with your Health Dept or whomever is over these things in your area. Here we must have clean and unmarked cartons (no store brands, use by dates ect.) We have our farms name labels printed on stickers so we can cover exsisting names. They can't be sold in any place of business (feedstore, country market, ect.)without being inspected and having a permit (Ours sale great by word of mouth). They must have nutrientional labels on them which is already present on the carton at someone elses cost. I sale both Brn. & Wht. eggs for $1.75 but with carton return $1.50. Honestly it is more an exspense then a help I have 60+ girls and I clear MAYBE $100 per month in the warm months after supplies. Winter I loose my tail feathers [​IMG] GOOD LUCK!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by