Need help with very depressed chicken

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
I have a flock of 9 chickens. Two are roosters. 8 of them are almost 6 months old. I had a third rooster that I traded for a hen from a friend. This hen is about a year old. She is a barred rock. I have a couple of other barred rocks as well as some RIR and a couple of black sex links. The first couple of days the new hen seemed ok. She layed both days. The past few days I think she has stopped laying and she seems very depressed. She is always by herself. The other 8 are always together and run around the yard together and sleep together. This poor girls sleeps by herself in the coop and doesn't seem to have any friends. What do I do? Should I get another hen from somewhere else that maybe could be her friend? Do I send her back to her original home? I hate that she seems so sad.

This is normal adjustment. In time she may become more integrated, or one or two of the others may pair off with her. Maybe you could try offering a treat on the ground, so that the others have to move towards her to get their share.

I have one hen who has always kept to herself to some extent. She used to sleep separately but after several months she moved onto the roost with the others -- after I made her usual sleeping spot inaccessible. She hangs around with the flock but on the outskirts. She was a lone survivor of a broody hatch.

It might be that getting another hen from her former flock would help, but I wouldn't wait too long to try this, as they don't seem to have long memories.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom