Need help.

turtlemh

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
My fiancé and I just bought a house and are turning what use to be a chicken coop maybe into a chicken coop again. I found feathers to prove it when cleaning heh. So far all we have done is put a new roof on it.

It has a wonky front door that is covered with chicken wire only. Can anyone suggest a door that's cheap or should I build one? This is the people door not chicken.

Also there is some kind of animal living under this old shed. Looks to be 3 huge holes under it. I have a have a heart traps so I was going to try to put those out. I'm thinking a ground hog but not sure. Kind of worried about things eating my future chickens.

We have a old dog run that we were going to use as the run its very big and heavy duty.

The shed is semi next to the barn in a big pasture. The people use to have horses.

Anyone have any suggestions also for the inside of the coop? Below are the pictures I have. They aren't the best.

Thanks

For a people door try going to your local habitat for humanity thrift store. the one I use has doors for 10 bucks, plus you may find other building supplies you may need to finish out the coop

Agreed! If you have a local Re-Store Humanity Store, that's where we got a lot of materials. Paint, door, and an old cabinet front to make a "window." Also got caulk and some screws from there, all kids of goodies!

I live in Rochester NY so it gets cold. Thinking I would need an actual door? Also there are spots between the roof and the wall that have openings. Should I put wood in those openings? Or should I screen them over for ventilation?

I live in Rochester NY so it gets cold. Thinking I would need an actual door? Also there are spots between the roof and the wall that have openings. Should I put wood in those openings? Or should I screen them over for ventilation?
X3 on the real door, if you find a solid wood door, you can always add a pop door to it.

I'd screen them in, and put wooden flappers over them, that will allow you to adjust as requred for the temp, and wind direction while it's cold.

Back
Top Bottom