Need Help

cdcopeland

Hatching
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Hi. I'm new here and completely new to chickens. I keep goats. My father-in-law keeps chickens and is hatching his first chicks in an incubator. Well, one started hatching on Friday and they left town and I was left in charge. The little one made a hole about the size of a dime and then no further progress was made. I knew it shouldn't take that long for him to emerge. It had been almost 48 hours. Yesterday, with the help of this site, I zipped his shell and ultimately ended up having to open the shell for him since he was too weak to do it. He managed to detach himself from his shell and is still alive today. My husband is home and I suggested dipping a Q-tip in water and going around his beak to get water into him to fight dehydration. Hubby said he took the water well. His eyes were open yesterday but now they are closed. He is kicking his little legs and feet but isn't strong enough to stand up yet, but he's trying. I don't have a lot of hope that he's going to make it, but I don't want to give up on him. He is stronger than he was yesterday. Is there anything I can do to help this little guy out? Thanks for any help!

Hey Iam Also Knew To This If I Were U Ill Keep One More Day In The Incubator With Some Food And Water And I Make Sure The Temp Is Normal Because Chicks Usually Close Their Eyes When The Temp Is High If His Eyes Did Not Open U Should Get Some Water And Put Some On His Eyes And Help Him Open Them If He Is Better Tomorrow Take Him Out Of The Incubator And Keep In A Box Or Somewhere Make Sure His Not Cold Good Luck Hope He Gets Better

smile.png

Quote:
Hey CD,

I would immediately try and get a bit more electrolyte water in him with the q-tip. I like to mush up my electrolyte water with boiled egg yolk which makes a nice and nutricious combination. Put a tiny bit on his beak so that he can get some in his mouth and keep feeding as he eats it. He’ll love it. Be careful not to plug his nostril. Also, be sure it is warm enough in your brooder but not too warm. Hope all will be well soon.

Hi. Again, I'm brand new to chickens and this is totally new to me. Where do I find electrolytes for chickens? Feed store? He is still in the incubator. Should I move him out? I guess he's dry but he not fluffy. His feather are crusted down to his little body.

Quote:
You can get electrolytes at any feed store. They come in a small package full of powder. For now I personally would take him out (unless you have any other chicks pipping, meaning there is a hole in the egg already) and put him under a comfy heat lamp. Make sure that he is comfortable and get some water and egg yolks into him while somebody gets electrolytes for you. I believe you may be able to use sugar water too but I am not sure. Sometimes the humidity in the incubator is too high and they don’t dry well. If he is already weakened this may not be beneficial, at least in my humble opinion. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom