1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pooh731, Nov 17, 2012.

1. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    My girls have not laid any eggs in awhile. Do they stop laying eggs in the winter time. Should I be worried. And when will they start back again. We bought our first store bought eggs in a year not the same as fresh eggs

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Mine are molting right now. Perhaps yours are as well. Do you find feathers laying around more than usual now?
    I have 10 that are a little over a year old and none of them are laying. Kind of a drag but it will pick up again if that is what they are up to.

3. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    how long does this process take

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    the longest molting can take up to 3 months

[​IMG]

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    It depends on the bird of course. If they drop lots of feathers fast they should come out of it faster. I have a couple easter eggers that have not layed since July. Not so happy with them as layers. One I do not expect will ever lay again. Her last egg had the ovary with it. Poor girl.
    Stress can also affect laying. I have one hen that layed her first egg at 11 months old. That was only after I took some of the more twitchy hens out of that group.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes most birds stop laying over the winter due to the shorter daylight. You can try supplementing lighting and see if you can force them to start laying again or just ride it out until spring when they start up again.

7. pooh731

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    think you so much everyone on here has been so helpful[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by