Need help..

lynnwalton13

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
East Texas
I have a nest that started out with 13 and as of yesterday there was 17...Went out this morning and now there is 14 but i did found a couple in the yard..Why is she pushing the eggs out the nest into the yard??? Im new to all this chicken stuff!!

Maybe she thinks there are too many for her to brood. Also, one needs to mark the eggs at the start of incubation so volunteers can be removed - otherwise there will be various stages of development and she'll abandon the nest within a couple days of the first hatch.

Is she a full sized hen? Where is she nesting? Is her nest in a private area? If she's a big girl, I'd let her have up to 10 eggs. don't let her have more than she can comfortably cover. How long has she been setting? If it's for a few days, you could try candling the eggs she has, and remove any that don't show any veining to get the clutch down to a reasonable size. Perhaps she's removing the eggs that aren't viable.

I have 4 rhode island hens and i have seen 2 hens under by door steps and thats where the nest is..they are 7 months old..it went from 13 eggs the day i found them to now 18 as of today, i have took some out and i only left 8 ...i have looked at all them and they r fresh eggs and havent been there long im guessing..

But no hen is broody, correct? Are you trying to tempt one into going broody? If so, mark some as bait eggs and remove the rest for eating, until a hen commits to brooding, then give her fresh eggs to hatch. But if no one is likely to go broody and you just leave eggs there, yes they'll scatter them around and before long you'll have a smelly mess under your porch.

Back
Top Bottom