Need help!

Sunflower

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Berryton, KS
Need some help/encouragement. I have pet chickens. One of my oldest hens, Matilda, age 8, is crippled and limps. Her injured leg is getting worse and on top of that she has COPD or asthma-like symptoms. (3 dozes of antibiotics didn't touch it.) It's time to end her suffering. We've only culled one very sick hen with the cone method, but with Matilda's breathing problem, I don't think she could tolerate being upside-down for the cone process. It's so upsetting and I don't know what to do. Can we use a milk jug cone but keep her upright? I
I've taken two hens to the vet to be euthanized and truly, the cone method was much more humane. Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

I had one hen put down and they crammed the needle into her abdomen. Not very humane and now sad to think she went through that. Then I found a fantastic vet when my 9 year old hen got a cancer on her jaw and couldn't eat. He said how inhumane that way of euthanizing was. He gives them a little anesthesia first, then the needle. If you could find a vet who would do it this way, then it would be very easy on her as she would just fall off to sleep. Other than this, I have no suggestions as I could never do it myself. Perhaps someone on this board can tell you an easy and quick way to do it. All the best. It's very sad to lose a pet but you are doing the right thing by ending her suffering.

As silkienation had done...our vet put down our peep like they put down a dog or cat. First, anesthesia to put her to sleep...then the shot to send her over the rainbow. I know many people thought I was crazy paying a vet to do it...but she was one of my pets...just as all the rest! So sorry for your pain...
1f622.png

Back
Top Bottom