Need Housebreaking/Crate help with Dog!

Connorrm

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
So I'm nearly at my wits end I'll make the back story as easy as possible:

1. Born 5/10/11 - Got her 09/09/11

2. Urinary Tract Infection in August, Treated prior to me.

3. Week after I got her, she kept peeing all over the house. Brought her to vet - treated for urinary tract infection as precaution.

4. Still randomly pees in house/on bed (rarely)

5. Treated for Urinary Tract Infection again in November

6. Spayed - no change in peeing - good for 3 or 4 days. Then accident.

7. Treated in December for Urinary Tract infection - as precaution - had white blood cells in urine. Also given some kind of drug to strengthen bladder sphincter.

8. Went 1 week without an accident, then pees in the house.

She just doesn't get it. She's restricted to areas with no carpet. I keep her with me when I'm home 100% of the time. However today she snuck behind my futon and peed. She gives NO warning that she wants to go out...doesn't sniff, root around. She just will pee.

I've only managed to catch her peeing inside like 5 times. Someone is home with her all day. I've spent everyday till two weeks ago giving her tons of potty praise. It's not working. I just don't know what else I can do. Also, she hates...and I mean HATES her crate. She won't even come near you if she thinks there's even a slight chance she'll go in there.

I've never rubbed her nose in anything or used her crate as punishment. What the heck do I do?

Two questions:
How was she trained during the first 4 months??? Being afraid of the crate makes me wonder...
And are her medical issues cleared???

Sounds like you're going to have to play up the crate big time - lots of treats and sitting with her in the crate (you beside the crate, not inside with her...lol) - make it as positive an experience as possible. Straight from the crate to outside to "go potty." And when she's not in the crate, you're going to have to have her on leash, physically connected to you so she can't sneak off.
Between getting her late and her medical issues, you guys are having to fight harder for this than is typical...

Last edited:
I'm not sure how she was trained the first four months. I believe she was rescued from a shelter and ended up at Out of the Pits where I got her from.

She was in a foster home when I got her...so...not really sure. This has me ready to give up. It's been horrible and costly.

so you have done the "potty praise". that is usually what worked best for my family. lots of "good girl" and "good peepee" when she went outside and gentle scolding, just that serious voice "no, no bad girl" when we caught her going inside. also, LOTS of trips outside. but you sound like you have been observant and consistent. hmmm. what breed is it? some are just so stubborn to train. finally, sometimes with the terriers it is a maturity thing. just got to get a little older and they get it. hang in there!!

Like others have said, leash her to you for constant supervision when indoors. Start feeding her in her crate, door open. That way she will associate the crate with something good. Is her crate the wire kind or the plastic shell kind? She may feel too closed in if it's a plastic shell. My pit bull was the easiest dog I have ever had to house train. Her desire to please us is astounding. They are very intelligent dogs so just be patient and never give her a chance to make a mistake. Also, when you put her out to potty, make sure she is on her leash and not allowed to play until she has gone potty. Then praise her lavishly and let her play.

So I'm nearly at my wits end I'll make the back story as easy as possible:

1. Born 5/10/11 - Got her 09/09/11

2. Urinary Tract Infection in August, Treated prior to me.

3. Week after I got her, she kept peeing all over the house. Brought her to vet - treated for urinary tract infection as precaution.

4. Still randomly pees in house/on bed (rarely)

5. Treated for Urinary Tract Infection again in November

6. Spayed - no change in peeing - good for 3 or 4 days. Then accident.

7. Treated in December for Urinary Tract infection - as precaution - had white blood cells in urine. Also given some kind of drug to strengthen bladder sphincter.

8. Went 1 week without an accident, then pees in the house.

She just doesn't get it. She's restricted to areas with no carpet. I keep her with me when I'm home 100% of the time. However today she snuck behind my futon and peed. She gives NO warning that she wants to go out...doesn't sniff, root around. She just will pee.

I've only managed to catch her peeing inside like 5 times. Someone is home with her all day. I've spent everyday till two weeks ago giving her tons of potty praise. It's not working. I just don't know what else I can do. Also, she hates...and I mean HATES her crate. She won't even come near you if she thinks there's even a slight chance she'll go in there.

I've never rubbed her nose in anything or used her crate as punishment. What the heck do I do?

There are two things I can see that may be missing in your routine with your dog. First of all, if she's got a recurring UTI the urnine needs to be cultured to see what kind of bacterial is living in her bladdar. Your Vet is just throwing antibiotics at her and is NOT doing His/Her job for your dog. That drives me crazy. After the second suspected UTI a Cultrue and Sensitivity shoud have been done, proper Rx written and a thorough exam to see WHY she is prone to UTIs. This may well be a medical issue, I do suspect it is some behavioral, but it is not fair to a dog (or you) to be pulling your hair out over a mis-diagonosed behavior issue. Chronic UTIs can cause permament damage to the urniary tract, including the kidneys.

Secondly, do you go outside with her when she potties? If not, that is a big thing that needs to change -- like, yesterday.
smile.png
I am not trying to beat you up, at all. If you do not go outside with her when she potties how do you know for sure that she is going potty at all? Watching from the window or door doesn't count because I have seen dogs "fake" going pee in order to come in faster. Going outside with her does two things to help you out: 1) as stated you KNOW she's gone potty, 2) you can mark her appropriate behavior with praise and a food reward, changing her mind into thinking outside is the greatest place in the world to pee/poop.

As far as crate training goes...well she's probably spoiled because she's not been allowed time enough to get used to it. So she won't let you touch her if she knows your crate intentions? Well too bad for her, put a leash on her and leave it on her at all times. Periodiclaly pick up the leash and give her treats through the day, alternating with picking up the leash and brining her to the crate, treat her again. This should fix the issue of her avoidance behavior, and it is just bratty learned behavior. I hope this helps you.

Also feed her in her crate. She doesn't get fed until she is willing to go into her crate to get it. You might have to shove the bowl all the way to the back. Give her 10 minutes, and if she doesn't go in, take the food up and try again next feeding time. You can try coaxing her in with treats, but if I was dealing with this dog the only time she would ever be offered treat would be to get into the crate.

Is she drinking too much water? Has a full panel been run to determine that her kidneys are functioning adequately NOW?

Since she is a short haired breed she may hate going outside because of the cold. Take her outside every 30 min on leash without fail and ask her to go. If she doesn't go, fine, but in 30 min she needs to be taken back outside and asked again. If she goes she gets WILDLY praised and treated. Sometimes spaying will cause urinary incontinence that can be treated with hormones or antihistamines or herbal compounds. I had 1 female do this, but it is not that common.

You are just goin to have to treat her like a puppy that is not house trained until she gets the idea peeing in the house is a big no no. Never let her out of your sight when she is inside.

Also, if she is getting up on your bed to pee, you may be dealing with a dominance issue.

Back
Top Bottom