need ideas for brooding house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicksahoy, Feb 12, 2009.

1. chicksahoy

chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    i need a good idea for a brooding house for up to 25 meat chickens that i willbe raising annually, but needs to be big enough to house a full grown chicken if i have an emergency like i did w/ the rooster yesterday. any ideas? i also kinda need it cheap, but thats not a huge deal.
    thanx!

2. LoveKhlassy

LoveKhlassy Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Hi,
    my chicken 'house' is in an old outbuilding. Outbuilding's are cheap if you have one, you just fence out a small pen.

also, i've heard of people who build a small pen on the side of their garage, with 25 chickens though, that might not work.

you can always build a small coop out of just wood too, some of my friends do that.

also, if you want to be extraordinary [​IMG] you could put them in your basement, at least while they are babies.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I use an old chest type deep freezer for an outside brooder. Its big enough for one or two adults.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A wire dog crate is real good as an emergency ward for an adult chicken. You can sometimes get them for cheap at garage sales or even at the curb on trash day if you're lucky.

I'm not entirely clear on whether you need a *brooder*, or a building. If a brooder, knock something together with plywood scraps, or if you don't mind replacing it periodically some people use those huge cardboard boxes that grocery stores get pumpkins or watermelons in.

If you need a building, the cheapest easiest thing is to build a quick little lean-to extension off whatever coop you already have.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you looking for housing just for when they're under the heat lamp, or for the entire grow-out time, until they're ready to be processed?

6. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Plastic storage totes work great as cheap brooders. Cut a hole in the side and place a sofit vent over it and you have a good chicken ward.

7. chicksahoy

chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    i need something for the grow out process, and thanx for all the ides they are great! but anyway, i just need a place to put them after they are big enough to be outside.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by