Need Info About a Bator

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
I am getting ready to purchase one and I would like everyone's opinions. We want a small one, but one with a turner (we work full time). Please let me know what kind you have, what is costs and why you like it. I really appreciate it!!!!

I bought a HovaBator 1602 because the 1588 couldn't get to me in time. My local co-op carries the 1602.

I admit to having a miserble first hatch. Three of 16 hatched. Five more died in the shell. The others didn't develop at all (which can't be blamed on the incubator). It was totally my fault though. The 1602 held temps great until the very end when the temperatures outside were all over the place. Plus I got nervous and started fiddling with the thermostat. Bad hatcher! I fired it up again this morning and I'm going to try again now that the air conditioner is on and the house is holding steady temps. I'll let you know how it turns out in about 3 weeks.
smile.png

I didn't get the turner. I turned them all by hand since there were so few of them. Truthfully I kind of enjoyed doing it by hand. It gave me a chance to sniff out any stinkers and the check the development. If I had a couple of hundred in there it wouldn't be as much fun, I'm sure! School is out for summer so I have plenty of time to keep and eye on them.

I like the bator. We'll see if I still like it after this hatch. The price is low enough that I don't feel guilty about buying it. It gives me a backup in case a broody hen goes off. It was very straightforward to set up. Again, most of the problems were with me.
hmm.png

Good luck. It's great fun peaking in on the bator and checking everything out!

I just started hatching this year and I have one each of the still air incubators -- one LG and one HB. I also made one which I like better than either of those.
Hatching is nervewracking and I don't see a way around it --- yet.

For low budget it seems that these things require constant monitoring and adjusting.

I like the HB design better because the lid fits well. I like the LG because it is slightly easier to adjust but it's very easy for the top to slip out of place and lower your temperatures.

I like the HB turner better.

Keep in mind, the turner motor is hot and will change your settings. Fire up your incubator several days before you put in eggs with the turner running. When you add your eggs, your temp will drop for a couple of days..... DO NOT TOUCH it for 24-48 hrs. unless it is too hot.

GOOD LUCK!
frow.gif
I've been a happy hatcher for a month now and have oodles of chicks. It's really cool, but is also very demanding with amateur equipment.

I've done a lot of "no-no's" for various reasons and am having great hatches so far (except for my first ugh!)

I read somewhere to disinfect the eggs before incubating. Fumigation is best but costly and need to send for chemicals.
I DIPPED my eggs in a 10% bleach solution, let them air dry, and then put them in the bators. I did not wash, rub, or sand them. I did wipe off big spots of poo.

Hova Bator 1588. I think they are about $180 w/ a turner. You might be able to find a used one in good shape for $100-$125 on Craigslist.

I would personally avoid the LG's. I had one and took it back. Temps were all over the place. Some people have had good luck and swear by them. They are much cheaper, but you have to keep a close eye on them, and I had trouble getting the humidity up.

I have an LG with fan in it and love it! I have no problem with it at all. You will have to research the different types and see what you think will work best for you.

Good luck!

I'm sure the fan makes a huge difference. My home made one has a fan.
I don't think there is room for a fan and turner both in the still-airs.

don't know if it makes sense but I find the temps much more stable with the turner on.

Last edited:
I have a Hova-bator 1602. Paid $58 for it. Don't get that model. It requires a steady room temperture for it's temperature to stay constant. With both of you working you need a more dependable model that will do an automatic job of keeping the temperature constant. And get one that has an automatic egg turner.

If you work full time and you want soemthing you dont need to worry about get a brinsea, they stay much more stable then even the genisis , they only hold 20 eggs or so there is usually one on sale for about 99 if you add the turner its another 50 but if you need something you can rely on youll save money in the long run by hatching more eggs then you lose unlike if you get a styro bator that need to be keeped fairly coddled to keep them steady .

I love my Brinsea Eco 20
big_smile.png
It is awesome! I had a great hatch, especially considering my thermometers sucked and the bator ran 2 degrees low the entire time (do not trust Brinsea's included thermometer ... check it!)
roll.png
The temp never wavered a bit, however. Humidity is easy to control. I got the autoturner with it and, other than adding water every few days, never had to fuss with it at all. I hatched 13/14 shipped eggs that developed (had 4 that did not develop), 3/4 bantams, but only 6/9 Hamburgs (and I lost 2 of those chicks). Not bad overall, probably would have been a lot better had I had the temp correct.

Thanks guys great answers!!! One of things we are most concerned about is the fact that we both work full time and are gone from about 7 am til after 5, so we need one has a good rep for keeping temps and a turner.

Back
Top Bottom