Need info for lockdown

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Incubating my first set of eggs. I started with 12 but lost one due to bacteria. I put them in the incubator on Thursday evening around 7pm. The date was October 25th. So, I guess my projected hatch date would be this Thursday, November 15th? Do I lock them down tomorrow evening? Also, what should the temp be for lockdown? It holds pretty steady at 100 degrees. I also read somewhere that you should put the eggs in an egg carton with the bottom cut off so they can be upright during the hatch. Is that necessary? After they start to hatch I leave them in there until they are all hatched, correct?

Thank you for all the information!

Yes, I do believe yours would be Monday afternoon at 7pm. It is three days before your hatch day. The TEMPERATURE will stay the same the HUMIDITY will change. The humidity should go up and this depends on what you've had it now and everything else but roughly I think the recommended is between 55-70. Everyone does it a little different when it comes to this. You can put the eggs in a carton but you don't have to. The reason that was probably recomended is because the eggs have been sitting up during the entire hatch (maybe in a turner) and you need to keep them at the same level in the incubator when you take the turner out because the temperature can vary at levels in an incubator. Yes, don't open the incubator during the hatch and wait till they all are hatched is the best way. I know there are times that people open it but unless there is an emergency best case is to leave it alone. Easy to say, not easy to do. Specially when they aren't hatching and you are like I want to candle!!!! I hope this helps out a bit and answers your questions. And good luck on your hatch!!

Thank you! I have not had the eggs in a turner. I turn them four times a day myself. So, would you recommend I put them in an egg carton since the temp. can vary. They have not been sitting upright. They have always been on their side.

No, you don't need to because the temp will be the same for them since they have not been sat higher in the incubator and then would be lowered for lockdown. I hope that makes sense. Also, I thought to tell you if you are planning on incubating more turn the eggs an odd number of times. Like 3 times a day. The reason is lets say you get up in the morning and you flip them (X) , afternoon you flip again (O), then at night you do another one(X) then the NEXT day you wake up and you flip which will land them on O and then X for afternoon, and then O for night. If you notice each night they are on a different side and the reason this is a good thing is cause usually at night they are sitting for a longer period of time. This makes sure they don't spend too much time on one side. It isn't a horrible thing that you are doing it 4 times and it shouldn't bother the hatch but I thought it might be useful. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom