Need Info on Ameraucana Leghorn Crosses

Thank you!! This is very helpful!! And also very interesting!! I didn’t realize their genetics were so complicated :eek: :lau that’s awesome though!! Unfortunately, I lost the rooster unexpectedly last July about two weeks after the chicks hatched so I’m unable to breed them back to him :hit but maybe I’ll have to get some more Lavs eventually or breed his sons 🤔🤔🤔
I'm sorry you lost him :(

Which is fine but if that's the case, say so. They said their priority was a production-level blue egg layer. An ameraucana x leghorn cross will not meet that goal as well as a production-bred Legbar. Just trying to save some them some trouble, time and money. 🤷‍♀️
My goal is both, to increase the Ameraucanas production, and to experiment and have fun while doing it. I know it will save me a lot of effort, time, and money to just buy some Legbars, but like I said I want to do this my own way, and also there are no Legbars anywhere near me :)

I didn’t interpret it that way at all. They said they just wanted to add a little more production, not that they needed to be super producers. They also said earlier in the thread that they were not interested in Legbars and wanted to breed their own birds. 🤷‍♀️
Yes, this is correct.

When I (and others) posted suggestions of existing blue egg layers that were similar to the stated goals of the proposed cross, Button had neither said that they could not obtain the other breeds yet NOR stated that really they just wanted to experiment. Jus' sayin'.

If they specifically want to make their own blue egger mixes for their home flock for fun, cool, but at first that was not the stated goal so all these people that recommended breeds that matched what we, at the time, thought the OP wanted were not just being a-holes, they were trying to be helpful. I don't know why you had to rip into everyone like we were being bullies or something. It's a little odd.
Ok, I'm sorry I did not make my goals more clear at the start of this thread. In truth, I didn't know exactly why I wanted to do this, I just knew that I really wanted to. But now I think my goals are to have fun experimenting, and increase the production of my birds.

I lost the rooster unexpectedly last July about two weeks after the chicks hatched so I’m unable to breed them back to him :hit but maybe I’ll have to get some more Lavs eventually or breed his sons 🤔🤔🤔

If you want more lavenders, try using just the black sons and daughters of the lavender rooster. Skip the whites, because you can't see lavender if it's also turned white.

Crossing two birds that are carrying lavender should give about 1/4 lavender chicks, 1/2 chicks that are carrying lavender but don't show it, and 1/4 chicks that are pure for not-lavender.

You've also got about a 1/4 chance of having birds with a not-black base color. You could even get one that is then diluted by lavender (about 1/16 chance). Porcelain d'Uccle and Isabella Leghorn are examples of "lavender" chickens that are not based on solid black--the lavender gene affects both red shades and black shades.

Back
Top Bottom