Need Info on Cats/Kittens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hooligan, Aug 16, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ok, so about a month ago a new 'stray cat' showed up in the neighborhood and you could tell she was either fat or pregnant. A few weeks ago my bf finally pet her and she decided she wanted to come inside. So she has been coming in and out as she wanted, sometimes not for a few days but she would come to the porch at least. During this time I could not figure out if she had her kittens already or not since I couldn't feel them but she was still fat.
    Well Lucas went out into the garage today and found kittens, he picked up a black one that he siad looked younger than the others, but I am thinking it might just be a runt. He didn't catch the others though. When I get home I will figure out if all are hers and about how old they are.
    But I need help on nutrition, what should I be feeding her? I have been giving canned and dry food and occassionally raw milk. Should I change it?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like you're doing good. All the food she wants to eat and plenty of fresh water. Milk can give some cats bad diarrhea, I'd skip it.
    Let her take care of her kitties for a few weeks and she can be spayed when they are 5-6 weeks old.

3. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    when my cat had kittens the vet said to feed her kitten food, since she's nursing and needs more of whatever nutrition kitten food is higher in. So we fed her Purina Kitten Chow.

4. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Buy her the highest quality cat/kitten food that you can afford. You can also start her and the kittens on KMR (kitten milk replacer).

Kudos for taking her in!

5. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Oh she is def. going to be spayed and if possible I want to have the kittens done to before getting them homes.
    What food do you recommend Reb? I'm not good with younger cats, our cat is 11 [​IMG] I just want to do whatever is best for her and the kitties.
    I will take pix when I get home so everyone can see them [​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I would be making sure Mama Cat and the kittens are all up-to-date on their vaccinations. Stray cats worry me because of all the diseases they can carry. If she has worms, and you pet her, then touch your face, you can quite possibly ingest worm eggs by accident and get worms yourself. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Quote:I dosed her with Triforce for cats and I can get her a shot at the co-op, no big deal there. Depending on everyones condition and size, I would like to get them a check up at the vet in a few weeks (when I have the cash-just had a neuter and x-rays and allergy shots done on 2 of our dogs this week).

8. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Can you use ivermectin as a wormer on adult cats?

9. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I agree on the Purina Kitten Chow to feed Mama cat while she's nursing the kittens, they also make a "milk chow" for kittens for when they start to eat in a few weeks. That's the only Purina I fed my cat when I got left with a pg cat and her 5 kittens. Soon as they were older I fed EVO cat food to all.
    Make sure you do take her in for spaying as soon as the kittens are weaned at 6wks. If she's going in and out still, she may again be pregnant at this time, but most clinics will do a spay that early! Be aware it may cost more though.Cats do NOT go out of heat until bred. They aren't like dogs with their cycles.
    It'd be great to spay/neuter the kittens before they go to new homes, you're a true angel for taking them all in. [​IMG]
    Maybe when you take Mama cat in to be spayed you can strike up a great deal on doing the kittens all at the same time when they are ready? Worth a try! Some humane societies have spay/neuter certificates that you can try also if they are in your area.
    Take care and keep us posted on the little ones.

10. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Cats cycle every two weeks usually until they are bred, which ususally happens right off the bat anyways. If they are runnign around already they can eat solid food. good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by