Need info / opinions / expertise

jafo

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Hello Peeps! We been members here for years, just ain't been on much lately. Wife and I have Orpingtons, one rambunctious Roo, and 6 girls, that free rage for the most part, and have 3 egg laying stations around our property of 1/2 acre. Yes we have a coop with a 1200 sq ft run as well, and it has 4 nesting boxes, and room for at least 12 birds using the 4 sq ft rule. We want to set up our new incubator I got my wife 3 years ago,,,,,,finally,, with 8-12 eggs, that are collected starting tomorrow, or so. We have no one in the broody mood, so here's the questions; I collect the eggs, should they be kept warm until they go into the bator? Should they be turned BEFORE they go in the bator? (we have a new bator with the turner) How long can they be lying around, before they would cease to be fertile? We gave my son 8 eggs a couple years ago, collected the same day, and he hatched out 6 hens. If I collect 4 today, put them in, then 3 the next day, and two the next, they can all be put in the bator, with charts to indicate when they went in, or start the 21 day deal on the 3rd day ???
Looking forward to the responses, and the hatching ! Thanks in advance !
Fred n Karen

Hi there Fred &Karen

Great that you are posting again :thumbsup
Eggs can be collected and stored in egg cartons with the fat end up for upto a week before setting them in the incubator. Room temp is best and turning them three times a day while storing helps to keep things from sticking inside the egg. I would collect what you want to set and put them all in at the same time, this way you do not have to worry about the humidity being too high at hatch for younger eggs that are not ready. Setting all at the same time means you can stop turning them all on day 18 and bump the humidity up without worry. I always do this as staggered hatching is not for me.

You might also like to drop by the incubating and hatching section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-amp-hatching-eggs

Wishing you the very best of luck with the hatch and it's great to have you back :frow

Awesome info Yorkshire! I was wondering if there would be split hatchings, and with a week for collection, there'll be no problems ! Thanks again !
thumbsup.gif

Been here a long time Diva n Bantam, just not in here as much, thanks!

Hello Yorkshire!
Well, today I guess was spossed to be the day, I said we set them the 14th of June, but probably the 15th. Haven't seen an egg wiggle, or heard a peep to date. I can't hear but my wife says it's pretty quiet in the incubator. We had 7 that looked really good, eyes / viens etc, and 5 questionable, but getting nervous now with no movement, no sound. Is that normal? How long after 21 days should we wait, to like day 23 ?

Hi there!

21 days is just a guide so try not to worry. I know this is hard but they may just need more time. Have your temps been ok during the incubation period? Temps on the low side can cause a slightly delayed hatch. Is the thermometer you are using giving you correct readings? These are just a few things to consider. Have you got your humidity up to at least 65% now for lockdown? Have the air sacs grown adequately during incubation?

Unless you are constantly looking at the eggs you may just have missed movement and peeping.

Well, today is the 22nd day, and just now, I heard some peeps. I checked, and THREE are pecking their way out. As far as humidity goes, there's water in the incubator, it's one of the Styrofoam ones with the wells in the bottom. took them out of the turner 2days ago and laid them on the wire grid in it. Temps have been pretty right on, but I never compared them to anything. 99.5. How long does it take for them to get out ?

Back
Top Bottom