Need Information, Our Chickens Are Dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pilotbill5918, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Pilotbill5918

Pilotbill5918 New Egg

Jul 12, 2008
    Comfort, Texas
    :eek:I need some information from anyone that can tell me what would cause chickens to get diarrhea. The chickens are about five (5) months old. The diarrhea is a dark red type. In the last month we have had 7 chicken die on us. We were given the chickens by our daughter when they were just a few weeks old. Thanks for any information that anyone can give us.

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    look up symptoms of cocci. Are you using medicated feed?

3. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    I can't help, because I am new to this, but read this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

Folks who help are going to need more info and are really good to help. You may also want to repost in the emergencies section, as the section you posted in may not get viewed in a timely manner.

HOpe this helps! I am also letting a moderator know silkiechicken and hopefully she can help!! She is very knowledgeable, but she will need more info! [​IMG]

4. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    this could be a lot of things. Are the droppings blood red or just a rusty foamy brownish color? The latter could be worms. If it is more blood red it could be coccidiosis which is common. If you have very many live birds left you could take a fecal sample to a local vet for annalysis. That would be your best bet.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've moved your post to emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures.

If it is blood red, birds are losing weight, and lethargic, I bet they all have cocci. A fecal float done by any vet can confirm this and any other internal paracites. If it is blood, treat with amprolium or sulmet asap as the protozoa can kill fast.

6. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    What brings about coccidiosis? Is it a problem in the soil? Is is brought on by overcrowding? I just am hoping to find a way to prevent a break out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by