Need information soon!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bigwig, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Help!! My pregnant alpine doe has worms! She is not anemic, eats and drinks well, is active….but has been having diarrhea. Today I noticed several S shaped worms in her poo. She had just pooped so they could not have crawled onto it from the surrounding pasture. What kind of worms are they? Is there a dewormer that is safe for a pregnant doe?

I will try to get a dewormer tomorrow so I need info soon.

Thanks in advance!

2. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I would be inclined to talk with my vet since she is pregnant.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, agreed! If the vet has been out recently for anything, they may talk to you over the phone, but this seems like something a vet might want to look into to make sure the worms you saw are not the only issue. She may have other parasites that you can't see as well.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The first step is to get a fecal done to see what you are dealing with and what the parasite load is. The worms you are seeing are probably pin worms if they are small and wiggly. If they are flat segments they are most likely tapeworms. It has been some years since I have had goats, but if memory serves, pinworms are fairly harmless and tapeworms do not necessarily respond to the conventional treatments for worms. If I were you, I would do a little research on both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by