Need input on breeds

henmionegranger

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2016
Feeding chickens
Tell me anything you can experience or personal opinion or anything you've heard about these different breeds. I'm looking into getting a few (maybe all) of these (depends how long this list gets it keeps growing honestly).

list:
Bantam Mille Cochin
Orpington vs Bantam Orpington
Easter Eggers
Silkie
Plymouth Rock vs Bantam Plymouth Rock
Belgian Bearded d'Uccle Bantam

-this list will most likely periodically grow

Last edited:
Which would you recommend over the other? I'm a first time chicken owner. I have handled them before etc. Also which is better bantam or normal Cochins?
I would chose silkies over polish and I raised to black bantam Cochins who were really friendly and loving and I'm raising two standard sized buff Cochins who aren't friendly if recommend a bantam Cochin in general I prefer bantams

Okay so I have silkies, Orpingtons, EE, we've had one porcelain d'uccle cockeral(He died in a freak accident that broke his neck and I miss him sorely, one of the last things he ever did was protect me from a highly aggressive roo we had at the time even though he was less than half the size of the other roo he got between us. Since then I have wanted to try some more d'uccles.), we got what was supposed to be a barred Cochin bantam but she was never tame and was a very poor Cochin example, I believe she was a mix with a barred rock bantam.

Okay to start at the top we have Orpingtons both English and American and we love them tremendously! We have black, chocolate, chocolate cuckoo and buff we are also growing out some lavenders and hoping to add more. They're great birds!

I also can't say enough good about our EEs. One of my very favorite birds is an EE named Pebbles and she is my little chatterbox! While they did to through a flighty stage they have all calmed down rather well and other than the occasional urge to make us go on an Easter egg hunt we anlre very happy with them. They are all also individuals and I love being able to tell my birds apart easily.

Silkies wow what beautiful creatures! We have had several and continue to get more to rebuild our silkie flock after a predator nearly wiped it along with half of our other birds out. We have had silkies that were flighty and we have had silkies that were puppy dogs. Unfortunately my favorite silkie a buff named Ginger got taken by a fox or coyote and I miss her very very much. Her loss made me question keeping my birds as free rangers, but I know they are much happier that way. Ginger was such a sweet chick, not show quality but sweeter than most puppies. She chased me all last winter over three foot drifts and an ice covered drift at that back to the house from the coop wanting just one more pet and one more cuddle. She even walked right into the house one day when were Were bringing in groceries and had the doors propped open. Scared the heck out of one of our cats. Lol. Can you tell I miss my Ginger?
When Ginger was taken she had two mostly grown chicks that were no longer dependent on her but still following Mommy around. Our silkie roo Kramer adopted them and cared for them wonderfully until he too was taken right before my eyes.
Now I'll tell you about Lovey another of our silkies, not the brightest bulb Lovey has a huge crest which has been a problem for her. For instance I once saw her startle and she took off running and ran head long into a three foot wide tree trunk. Right in the middle of it. She was fine but her ego was bruised. She's sweet and once in your arms settles quite nicely. She's also an excellent if over-committed broody and had to be dragged out for food regularly when her weight began to plummet as she sat.

Hope this helps! Keep up the research you should see wanted breed list and then the colors! Ah! LolLol

I know we have already been talking about oegb

Okay so I have silkies, Orpingtons, EE, we've had one porcelain d'uccle cockeral(He died in a freak accident that broke his neck and I miss him sorely, one of the last things he ever did was protect me from a highly aggressive roo we had at the time even though he was less than half the size of the other roo he got between us. Since then I have wanted to try some more d'uccles.), we got what was supposed to be a barred Cochin bantam but she was never tame and was a very poor Cochin example, I believe she was a mix with a barred rock bantam.

Okay to start at the top we have Orpingtons both English and American and we love them tremendously! We have black, chocolate, chocolate cuckoo and buff we are also growing out some lavenders and hoping to add more. They're great birds!

I also can't say enough good about our EEs. One of my very favorite birds is an EE named Pebbles and she is my little chatterbox! While they did to through a flighty stage they have all calmed down rather well and other than the occasional urge to make us go on an Easter egg hunt we anlre very happy with them. They are all also individuals and I love being able to tell my birds apart easily.

Silkies wow what beautiful creatures! We have had several and continue to get more to rebuild our silkie flock after a predator nearly wiped it along with half of our other birds out. We have had silkies that were flighty and we have had silkies that were puppy dogs. Unfortunately my favorite silkie a buff named Ginger got taken by a fox or coyote and I miss her very very much. Her loss made me question keeping my birds as free rangers, but I know they are much happier that way. Ginger was such a sweet chick, not show quality but sweeter than most puppies. She chased me all last winter over three foot drifts and an ice covered drift at that back to the house from the coop wanting just one more pet and one more cuddle. She even walked right into the house one day when were Were bringing in groceries and had the doors propped open. Scared the heck out of one of our cats. Lol. Can you tell I miss my Ginger?
When Ginger was taken she had two mostly grown chicks that were no longer dependent on her but still following Mommy around. Our silkie roo Kramer adopted them and cared for them wonderfully until he too was taken right before my eyes.
Now I'll tell you about Lovey another of our silkies, not the brightest bulb Lovey has a huge crest which has been a problem for her. For instance I once saw her startle and she took off running and ran head long into a three foot wide tree trunk. Right in the middle of it. She was fine but her ego was bruised. She's sweet and once in your arms settles quite nicely. She's also an excellent if over-committed broody and had to be dragged out for food regularly when her weight began to plummet as she sat.

Hope this helps! Keep up the research you should see wanted breed list and then the colors! Ah! LolLol

I know we have already been talking about oegb
Thank you! I'm sorry for your losses. Ginger sounds like my personal goals with my future chickens! I am definitely interested in some silkies and for sure at least one ee! I really want an orp as well. So many chickens to choose!! AHHH

Back
Top Bottom