Need inspiration or advice - 3 weeks into therapy with chicken that can't walk

Thanks Chickenhappy I hadn’t considered that as something that could be part of the problem. We had some really nice days of weather so I had Easter outside for a long time and it helped a ton! Just on the last few days she is now balancing well enough on her hocks to take steps and actually travel small distances without flopping over and struggling. She’s holding her neck higher and stretching it out further - it’s actually quite amazing! I’ve eased off on giving the oral hypericum and B12 liquid as it really seemed to be stressing her out and prior to her having this burst of strength I’d really worked her over with leg stretches and a warm bath to where I thought I’d overdone it because I found her laying on her back with her feet up in the air a few times and she seemed extremely uncoordinated.. that’s when I took her outside hoping to cheer her up and it worked amazingly quick - now she’s doing better than ever! I still don’t know what is causing her problems they seem to change from week to week - good stretches, bad stretches, but this is the best she’s been yet so I’m thankful for that. Although I’ve relaxed some of the things I’ve been doing I’ve upped the vitamins: duravet poultry vitamins and rooster booster. Oh yeah I even had to trim her beak which went unbelievably well, one little clip with dog nail clippers and all done..I was super worried about screwing that up! Anyhow that’s the update for anyone following 🙂...

So for anyone out there who reads this strand, I wanted to give a most inspiring update! Easter is walking normal again! Legs completely straight at times, sometimes bent just a little at the hocks, with all toes uncurled and spread out as normal!!! It is so unbelievable, I think she looks unnatural like this after seeing her in the splayed position for so long. She still wobbles and trips a bit while walking, but she can get around. She is still isolated from the flock, I worry they'd sense her weakness and hurt her as she is still very tiny for her age, she hasn't grown as fast as she should. But she walks around in the grass pecking and for the most part getting to do as a normal chicken would do! (except perching, haven't tried that yet - worried that might reinjure her). I am worried that if this is indeed Merek's which it seems to be, that she'll relapse but she's going on 3 really good weeks now without a setback. I even dare to dream that she could get strong enough to go back with the flock someday but then worry if I shouldn't as it would then expose the rest to Merek's even though they were all around her when she got it so should already be exposed right? In any case I'm just thankful for where she is at today, and if she does relapse I will know that for one short summer she got to enjoy life semi-normal for a chicken. I do still wonder if this is really Merek's - a friend told me maybe it was just a slipped tendon.. but it just doesn't jive... she was completely paralyzed / unable to move either leg at one point, toes curled, no grip response, red sores on legs, swollen and warm around hock, wings even seemed paralyzed at one point (or maybe she just wasn't strong enough to move them?), and once she even seemed to have a nuerological issue of not being able to connect with her food (pecking for it, but couldn't judge the distance as to where it was it - it only lasted two days I asuumed this was a nuerological issue from a Merek's tumor). Anyhow I wish more than anything someone could tell me definitively what she has going on with her but I don't have the $ or even a good enough vet that I'd trust if I did have the $ to tell me! In hindsight I'd say to definitely give the St. John's Wort / hypericum a try it seemed to help, liquid Vitamin B6 & B12, and Emu Oil on hocks, legs and feet and epsom salt baths if you think your chicken has Merek's and you are trying to save it.. but know this road was hard - took at times hours a day of care to get to this point. You have to not only be dedicated but have lots of time to spare which sadly I know for many people would be too much.

Easter Miracle is still doing super! Smaller than normal but lots of vigor and has her own little coop, walking stronger than I posted before hardly ever wobbles. She’s truly a miracle! But now one of my Cochins from the main coop has it and I’m totally heartbroken all over again!!! I’m on day 5 or 6 of total leg paralysis after 5 or 6 days of walking fine but having an unusual bout of yellow poo. Treated for cocci first hoping for something simple (don’t think that was it though poo normally bloody with cocci) thought egg peritonitis as it looked a little eggy (felt up vent for stuck or broken egg, not that - just stressed her more) In hindsight think maybe she just ate something bad and I shouldn’t have messed with her so much as that could have brought on mereks - plus at one point during corid treatment I thought she was doing well enough to see the flock again supervised but the interaction could have added stress (or it might have been too much physical assertion) and wasn’t good, shouldn’t have done that as the next day she went downhill very suddenly. I then started penicillin after legs went limp (hoping for bad egg peritonitis infection - anything but mereks!!!) now day 6 of totally limp legs gave last dose of penicillin yesterday. Been doing vitamins, electrolytes, herbs, hypericum (st. John’s wort), Epsom salt baths, nothing helping so far legs have no resistance when I try to move them but claw still curls when I bend leg. Going to work hard today to make a better donut for her to sit on and a sling.. will start bicycling legs more as it seemed that kinda helped Easter. Just beyond frustrated and heartbroken to be going through this again and to know I could be going through this more with my 5 other chickens too since they all must have been exposed to mereks at some point, and knowing not all might have the outcome Easter did.

Easter Miracle is still doing super! Smaller than normal but lots of vigor and has her own little coop, walking stronger than I posted before hardly ever wobbles. She’s truly a miracle! But now one of my Cochins from the main coop has it and I’m totally heartbroken all over again!!! I’m on day 5 or 6 of total leg paralysis after 5 or 6 days of walking fine but having an unusual bout of yellow poo. Treated for cocci first hoping for something simple (don’t think that was it though poo normally bloody with cocci) thought egg peritonitis as it looked a little eggy (felt up vent for stuck or broken egg, not that - just stressed her more) In hindsight think maybe she just ate something bad and I shouldn’t have messed with her so much as that could have brought on mereks - plus at one point during corid treatment I thought she was doing well enough to see the flock again supervised but the interaction could have added stress (or it might have been too much physical assertion) and wasn’t good, shouldn’t have done that as the next day she went downhill very suddenly. I then started penicillin after legs went limp (hoping for bad egg peritonitis infection - anything but mereks!!!) now day 6 of totally limp legs gave last dose of penicillin yesterday. Been doing vitamins, electrolytes, herbs, hypericum (st. John’s wort), Epsom salt baths, nothing helping so far legs have no resistance when I try to move them but claw still curls when I bend leg. Going to work hard today to make a better donut for her to sit on and a sling.. will start bicycling legs more as it seemed that kinda helped Easter. Just beyond frustrated and heartbroken to be going through this again and to know I could be going through this more with my 5 other chickens too since they all must have been exposed to mereks at some point, and knowing not all might have the outcome Easter did.
I'm so glad Easter is doing better. She really has an incredible story. :)
On the other hand, I’m so sorry that one of your Cochins appears to have the same problem! I honestly wish I had some advice or suggestions to give, but I unfortunately don't. And it’s not that I don’t have hope that your Cochin won’t make it, I just don’t have too much knowledge on the subject. Regardless, I hope they heal soon. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom