Need Just A Little More Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arlo, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Arlo

Arlo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2007
    Yes, it's me question man... I have decided to put the Coop on the side of the house on a slight slope; I have dug it out a bit to make it somewhat level. Here is the question what can I use to ensure that no predators can get under the sides? I was going to use some large rocks and line the outside of the run do you think that may help? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few pics.

Ohh BTW a very nice lady sold me 3 laying hens today 2 Buff Orpingtons & 1 Ameraucana.

Arlo

Coop on side of house.
    [​IMG]

Pic of Coop sides this is where my worry is..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Most people use chicken wire on the ground out about 1 foot from the side of the coop or pen. You then run the rest of the wire up the side of the fence and or coop.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Exactly. Build an underground barrier with galvanized wire. Critters are
    resourceful and dig. The rocks will help a lot too so use them.

Nice looking little coop. Best of luck with it. Take a lot of pics.

How many chickens are ya going to put in that?

4. Arlo

Arlo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2007
    I am having a hard time picturing what you all mean do I add a 1 foot piece of wire to the bottom going out then burry it? Sorry

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I used chicken wire around the perimeter of our main coop. I used garden stakes and homemade stakes from wire clothes hangers to secure it to the ground.

[​IMG]

Dawn

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I hope I can explain it for you. I'll give it a try.

You already have border around your coop & run, so all you have to do it measure the space between your coop and the border at the back & sides. The front border looks larger, so just lay out at least 1 foot of wire in front of the run.
    Cut strips of hardware cloth to fit in those spaces with enough extra to nail or staple it to the 2 x 4 that frames the coop & run. Secure outer edges with stakes.

To give you a better visual, think about laying a strip of hardware cloth down along one side of the coop & run.
    Now, you have to bend at least 2 inches of the wire up at a 90 degree angle along the 2 x 4 on the bottom of the coop & run in order to securely attach it to your coop & run.

Now you have a predator barrier. If you want, before installing, dig a little bit of dirt out, so you can lay the wire down & cover it back up with the dirt. Or you can lay it down on top of your dirt, and cover it with your landscape material.

Edited: Dawn, you and I were posting at the same time. I didn't have any pictures to show what I was taking about.

Jean

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by