Need legal horse advice

Want to light a fire under the people who own the horse to make them come get her? Advertise her yourself for sale, on Dreamhorse, or wherever you saw her advertised, and spell out in the ad that the owners have abandoned their horse at the end of your lease and you are selling the horse to recoup your losses. Ask the same exact price, copy all their pedigree info, age, training level that they chooes, everything, snag their photo and use it in your ad just so people will know it is the SAME EXACT horse you are talking about. That way anyone whose search parameters brings up their ad, will also bring up yours, along with your explanation of what the situation is. It is not against the law to advertise a horse for sale, just actually selling it is, if it isn't legally yours. Those people will see your ad and probably come get their horse. As a matter of fact, I would put in my ad. "(name) if you don't want this situation to get any more awkward, come pick up your horse and sell it yourself from your own place and foot the feed/shoeing/vet bills youself." or something like that.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

Why don't you just drive her back to the owners house and leave her there????

They live in an apartment somewhere in Maine 8 hrs. away.​

I haven't sent a legal document yet, but I have written to them. I'm in the middle of tweaking my formal letter now. Many initial contacts with them were through e-mail, but I have everything saved.
The owners I know can't take her back 'cause they live in an apt. and from some digging found out that they have left at least 2 board facilities due to non payment of board.
I have another horse that we own and he's kept at the same barn so the owners of the barn know the situation I'm in, but I want and need to keep them out of it as much as possible.
I have sent out a request for ideas/help to an Equine lawyer and I only got other names. So that's my next step.
I just am paranoid that something I overlooked will come back to haunt me.
thank you guys

Back
Top Bottom