Need more info about safety of eggs after worming.

Dr.Doorlock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Garland, Texas
Please help me with the best answer. I was told the eggs would be safe afetr 10 days, but then I was told 5 days and one even said I could go ahead and eat the eggs after the hens were treated ith Wazine.

Please get your answer on the record. I'm egg hungry!

i know 1 guy that keeps selling his eggs even after he worms. he said it was ok. i dont know, i incubated mine for 3 weeks to let some time go by. maybe it depends on how hungry you are. im hungry, grab the egg basket.

I waited 14 days. I am not gonna risk chemicals in my kids body from
de-wormers. I also don't worm much with wazine. I use a DE to prevent them
wink.png

I use wazine for the new birds I bring in and then use Ivermectrin after that. You need to wait atleast 14 days after as it kills off all parasites (worms, lice, mites, etc)

The time from ripening yolk to laid egg is about 2 weeks. So most folks wait that long before eating the eggs. That said, that drug as well as most drugs we use are officially off label in laying hens. The bottle says not to use it in laying hens. What that legally means is that the withdrawal time is for life. I would pay attention to this if you sell eggs, or give them away to people- as many people really really hate the idea of drug residues in their food. There is no legal leg to stand on if you sell eggs and use off label drugs with no published withdrawal times, and someone chooses to get uspet. If you and your family are the only ones eating the eggs, then you can do what most people do and wait 14 days.

I called a head poultry guy (PhD) at an agricultural university, and he said he would eat them at any time. Mail 'em to him if we didn't want them. That Wazine was fine. I think that the Wazine people are trying to avoid problems of their own. With that, my hubby put them in the fridge. I'll let you know if we have any issues.....ha.
hmm.png

bethanyrae

Quote:
Really dumb question but what does DE stand for? I used Wazine two weeks ago cause we had worms here pretty bad. All this Fl heat and water. I just started recollecting eggs today. It says that I have to reworm in 3 weeks. I would prefer not to throw all the eggs away again. Will DE work and what is it exactly? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom