Need more space??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bloom_ss, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have six chicks that are 4 weeks old right now and I have a coop that is 4' x 4' with 3 nesting boxes and a run that is about 9' x 8' (it's not quite finished yet). Is this enough room for all six of them??

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think that would be plenty of room for them.

3. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    What the learning center suggests is that you have roughly between 7-10 square feet per chicken. Also one nesting box for every 2-4 hens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Since you're asking for opinions, I'd say no on your housing if you're in an area that gets snow in winter time - yes if you're in an area that doesn't. Your run space is okay. I would not attempt to keep 6 adult birds (chicks are another story) in a 4 x 4 housing where I live, because we get snow here (not a ton of snow, but enough where my chickens stay inside by choice). But in mild weather areas where the birds pretty much stay outside all day, 365 days a year, and are ONLY indoors at night time (or to lay an egg), I think your 4x4 would do okay as long as you have two roosts inside - should have 10-12 linear inches of roost space per bird.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    4'x4' is a little tight in the coop. We have a 4'x8' coop and sometimes I think that is too small for our 6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by