Need nest box help!

kkcummins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Some of my young pullets started laying about 2 weeks ago. I had my nest boxes bedded with pine shavings which I also have on the floor for litter. They have been laying outside in the run.
I have fake eggs in the nest boxes and also added straw on top of the shavings, but they so far have refused to to use the them. I did find one egg in front of the nest boxes one time, but that's as close as they have gotten to laying in them. I have seen signs that the girls have been in them, such as the fake eggs being moved around, etc. How do I get them to lay in the nest boxes? The flock I had years ago just seemed to know that was where to lay their eggs and I never had this problem when they started laying. Right now, there is no way to close them out of their run.

Most likely they will just figure it out, young pullets take a bit to figure the whole egg business out.

Maybe post a picture of your nest boxes so we can see size, height, etc.

Last edited:
I built two for my hens but they just squawk at the boxes. If I put an egg in, they squawk even louder. They all prefer to lay in the corner of the coop about 2" from the boxes! They will even line-up for that spot.

Back
Top Bottom