need nest box measurements

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrazyChookLady5, Jan 19, 2014.

1. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    hi everyone
    I'm planning to make some nest boxes for my chooks, but I need help with the measurement and supplies part.
    I have about 16 laying hens so, how many boxes do you think i'll need??
    here are some pictures of what I want them to look like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for your help

2. lesgo54

lesgo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    spencer, tn
    12 x12 inckes would be good. U can even go a few inches bigger. For 16 birds ide go with atleast 6 nest boxes. I think i built mine 15 x 12. Sometimes /2 birdswill get in the nest box at the same time

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I initially had 14 x 14 in. boxes and that size works out great for large girls. We had two boxes but the 4 girls all used the same one. When we built the new coop, we went to one large communal box that was large enough for at least 3-4 girls to nest at the same time if they wanted to. The communal box is 4 ft long and is about 16 in. deep.

I now have 8 hens and they use only two separate spots in the communal nesting box. One box for every 3 or 4 hens is all you'll need.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³) will hold 2 cramped Golden Comet hens. I would go with 4 nest boxes for 16 hens. (Even then something tells me they will only use two.) I just used plastic milk crates on a shelf with a board zip tied to the front. When a feed bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy Peasy

[​IMG]

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. AlanW

AlanW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    I would go with 4 boxes as well, 6 if you have the space. 30-36 cm on each edge. Chickens really do a lot better on the metric system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by