Need opinion on 2 year old Paint filly

fancy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
My Paint filly was 2 years old on 2/25/10 she has been at a training barn for the last 90 days. I had to bring her back home due to finances. I wonder if it isn't a good time to give her a break and let her grow up a little?

She's been great, never puts a foot wrong, no buck, NEVER, the trainer got on her the first day. The trouble is she loves to work, has a great attitude, but I think she could end up being one of those horses that was so good they got burned out or lame. But she's so good, I hate to quit with her because she's showing us just how good she could really be. She's showing a lot of promise for reining.

Please help me decide! I can have the trainer come to my place, or she can hang out with her Mom and grow up a little more.
I'm leaning toward giving her a break, but wonder if that's the best thing.

Fancy

JMHO - If you are in no hurry and are wanting to keep her for your show horse - I would get her the break - Keep up with some sort of training and riding. Let them grow and go slower now - and you will have many more years of good years with them being sane and sound.

At her age, no good can come of constant riding but all the hard work has been done with her so in 6 months or a year of turn out, you will be able to move forward very nicely with a horse that will have many many years of good riding ahead of her. I would take her on quiet walks once a week so that she stays under saddle but nothing demanding or fast until her body & mind have had time to mature. Her time off now will be paid back with many more years of soundness in the long run.

I agree with the other posters. Keep up with her ground work and maybe light riding every now and then so she doesn't forget any of the important stuff, but give her some time to grow up. If you are interested in doing reining with her, I personally would wait till she is at least four to begin any competitions or real serious training. Paint horses don't really stop growing until they are five. However, until then, there is nothing wrong with some training here and there or even a little bit of lighter trail riding.

I think you know the answer .. and just wanted confirmation.

Congrats on what sounds like a great filly .. she should be a great horse for many years.

I agree with the others!

A little riding and some R & R to be "horsie" is the way to go for a young horse! By spring she would be a little more in maturity but she will reap the benefits as time goes.

I have found that horses, especially young horses just being started or older horses launching into some *totally* new type of skills, often benefit greatly from a "vacation" from their new knowledge. I do not know if they consciously mull it over, or what, but oftentimes it seems as if you do some good foundation work and then take a break for a few weeks or months, they come back more solid and better than if you'd kept going.

So while obviously you want to keep *handling* the horse, I think a break from training -- even to the point of not trying at all to replicate any of the things the trainer was doing with her -- is likely to have a good effect on her, not bad.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Give her a break, you an trail ride her and still work on some "training" stuff but it will be fun for her too. I used to do that all the time when I lived in Fl.

Back
Top Bottom