Need opinions on what feed to give to showbirds

blueberrysilky

Chirping
Jul 28, 2015
Archdale, NC
I have a pair of Black Sumatra game chickens, they are show quality. I am going to enter them in for a show this fall, and was wondering what kind of showbird feed to use to make their feathers luster and give them more nutrition. I also plan to start breeding these birds and selling the chicks.

This is the feed from southern states that I am currently looking at buying, it has a 21% protein and 3.5% fat. Only thing is it says that the feed is used for turkeys, and game birds (Chukar, Pheasants,ect.) It also says you can feed to laying hens, during molting seasons. Is this feed safe to use for my Sumatras, I.e. It won't fatten them up too much.

Thanks, BYC has always been a great place to gain information!

I would probably use it either every other day or mixed half and half with your other feed.
It shouldn't make them too fat but the excess protein will need to be processed by the liver and excreted becoming ammonia in the bedding.

Perhaps a better option - if you can't find some showbird feed for chickens: Give some vitamins and minerals in their water about 3 days a week. Provide an animal protein occasionally, like fish or meat. Canned mackerel is a cheap alternative to a high priced poultry feed.

The feed I was originally looking I ton buying was Blueseal Show bird and Breeder pellets. I just couldn't find anywhere that carried it nearby, it was a 18% Protien and 3.5% fat feed. The only feed I can find is 16% protien or 21% protein. Also I had read that giving chickens meat (i.e. Beef, Fish) can do harm to them. Did you mean mackerel meal, or beef meal?

The feed I was originally looking I ton buying was Blueseal Show bird and Breeder pellets. I just couldn't find anywhere that carried it nearby, it was a 18% Protien and 3.5% fat feed. The only feed I can find is 16% protien or 21% protein. Also I had read that giving chickens meat (i.e. Beef, Fish) can do harm to them. Did you mean mackerel meal, or beef meal?

If you mix the 16% and 21% feeds equally you will have an 18.5% feed.

Perhaps you could ask one of your local stores to order some for you.
I meant canned mackerel, fresh or table scraps of leftover steak or fish.
I'm not sure how it could do them harm unless you fed too much. You have to limit it because of excessive protein. Also, too much fish can change the taste of eggs. Chickens are omnivores and will devour any meat or fish they can bite a piece off of. Mostly they eat bugs but they also eat mice, frogs, etc..
If a flock of chickens discovered a deer carcass in the woods, they'd eat some.

Back
Top Bottom