need pics of your hog pen

Build your gate so that it opens into the pen. That way when it closes, it will rest against a board you screw to the latch post. Then you are not relying only on the latch to keep the weight of a big ol' hog from opening your gate, and ruining your garden/day. I would use some heavy duty hinges, and and attach them to the other post with bolts. Get a spring that will shut the gate behind you too. Needless to say, build a solid gate with screws (not nails). Nails will fail a lot sooner than screws.

Quote:
I ended up using four panels, and no gate! I figure that I'll just hop over to take care of them, the feed bin will be next to the fence anyway... I figure it easier that way, rather than having them possible escape

the feed bin will be next to the fence anyway

not trying to be mean but thats funny but good luck training them to keep there feeder and water bowls in one spot.​

I am currently building sheep/pig pens for winter and occasional usage, as my pig and sheep will be on pasture during spring/summer/fall. I will post pics of the completed project when I'm done. I guarantee it won't be pretty, so it may help you!
wink.png
I'm using "seconds" lumber, scavenged tin roofing and chain link fencing. So my total cost will be around $80.

Quote:
not trying to be mean but thats funny but good luck training them to keep there feeder and water bowls in one spot.

I'm planning on using something big enough for them not to be able to move....but we'll see

Quote:
not trying to be mean but thats funny but good luck training them to keep there feeder and water bowls in one spot.

This was last year, I went with a more permanent structure this year and they have not moved the feed or water bins, as they cannot move them. Also, can't wait to see how easy it is to move them! Last year was a disaster!

Back
Top Bottom