Need pictures of brooding pens for 200+ chicks hatched at a time!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moving coops, Mar 10, 2017.

1. moving coops

moving coops Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    I see such wonderful brooding pens for small numbers. But what if you hatch about 200+ a week. Let's see your pens. And what do you do when next batch comes the next week.

Thanks

2. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Here's a few ideas for you.
    I built a few of these - 24" x 48" x 16" tall. They all have bottoms but no tops. A single sheet of plywood covers the top one. I added a porcelain light socket on a dimmer in each one. Saw this on a facebook group and made my own plans.
    [​IMG]
    I also built a couple of these. They are 36" x 72" and the box is 16" tall. I mounted casters on the bottom and made the single door into two separate doors. There's a thread here somewhere of the original designer.
    [​IMG]

Or here's an old outdoor brooder I found online a while back.
    [​IMG]
    I've got another PDF document from Tim Shell that has a description and plans for a tractor type brooder I could send you.
    I also saw a youtube video of a guy that used a hoop style tractor as a large brooder.
    Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I can not remember if I showed you this home made "hover" or not, but a hover in my opinion is a great way to house 100's of chicks---they hold in the heat unlike heat lamps. As you can see in the pic I was running only 1 75 watt bulb (burning in the middle) but had to plug in the other 2 at dark(needed to be put on a wafer thermostat) The hover works like it was a Mother hen----that's what I call mine "Mother hen". The chicks get under it to warm--like it was their mother but can run around and come back to warm when needed. It is winter time in this pic(our winters are not like yours) I have mine outside with a cover top but open sides. There was about 120 chicks in this pic but it would hold more. I did as you can see use a wire floor elevated up off the ground 2" so I could keep cleaning up their droppings. Something like this could be hung from a rolling rack(similar to a rolling clothes rack) if you have the floor space, etc. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by