Need potty training tips.....

Just my thoughts here, tell him the truth, the 3 year olds poo in the potty and the 2 year olds are learning. Give him a reward for getting it there and then he will know this is what he needs to do!

He learned to pee pee in the potty in about 2 days. He wanted to be like daddy, and that was that LOL. He wanted undies like daddy too, not a diaper. I thought he was rather young too, but hey if he was that willing, I was gonna run with it.

The biggest problem I have with him going back to the 2 year olds is that he isnt happy there. And the fear of him being bit again. The reason he was moved up to the 3s so young was because he was being bit, and alot. (The finally draw was 4 times in 1 week.) I gave them the choice, he can move up with his cousin Lilly (she had just moved to the 3s) or he will be out next week. Ms. Pat, his teacher was abit apprehensive with him being there at first, but by the end of the day she, and other teachers admitted they were completly surprised. And that he was doing so well in the class.

Myself I think 2 is too young to expect a child to be potty training.
I waited til my daughter was 4. But I am a SAHM.
I tried the bribing, the candy, the praise. She just was not ready. Oh she showed the text book "signs" of readiness:rolleyes: But she doesnt like being "pushed" So I backed off and waited. Much to my mother in laws dislike.

So I lied to the kid.
I told her that both of her friends, both younger than her. Were already potty trained. She hasnt had an accident since that day.
But, she did remember that I had promised her a Audubon bird(the ones hat "sing" when you press their bellies(?) I had to go out and get her that bird like I promised

I would just keep talking about it and telling him how awesome it is. they will eventually get it. He's YOUNG to be potty trained already! Good job!~ Just let HIM tell YOU when it's time. He will get it
wink.png

I have known Europeans that were done with this by 6 months. It was all about scheduling - having & maintaining. So age is not really an issue. IMHO

With that said having been a daycare provider, we charged extra for non-toilet trained kids - diapers = extra work - no brainer if you ask me, so I never cared one way or another.

But I will tell you routine, status & treats can not be underestimated. When I did daycare my mother lived next door & was doing the same. During the summer months every afternoon M-F I would take all the potty trained kids to the local pool & all the "diaper babies" stayed home for naps. My parents were always shocked how quickly they learned, I had one that decided on his 2nd birthday that he was done with diapers ha came back after Xmas holidays & told me oh so proud that he was now a BIG kid, I let him skip naps that day & he fell asleep on my brand new leather sofa & had his one & I believe only accident
hmm.png
. NO I did not get upset with him, it was MY fault not his, what are you gonna do?
roll.png

Incentives, routine, routine, routine. The routine itself doesn't matter so much just that the same things happened @ the same time day after day. The only part of the routine that I will get into was this:
before every meal they had to wash their hands, after every meal they had to go potty, wash their hands & brush their teeth, if they were a "diaper baby" they were allowed to start doing 1 thing after another themselfs for instance at first I would to it all, then as they progressed they were allowed to wash their own hands,brush own teeth, etc I would only praise BUT I had the older kids to "inspections" - they had to meet the standards of their peers....I am sorry but standards are just that.

We live in the sticks (as a preface) and I taught my boys to peepee off the back deck. They would see who could peepee the furthest.

For going poopoo on the toilet, I sat them down on the toilet BACKWARDS (had to take off pants and undies first) so they could hold on to the toilet seat lid and watch it plop. The front of the toilet seat is also much more narrow so they didn't feel like they were going to fall in.

When they had poopoo accidents, I didn't make any to do out of it. I just said, "ugh-oh, you went poopoo in your big boy pants. Let's go clean up and put it in the potty where it belongs!" Over exaggerated and with a smile always. I would let them help me get their pants off, make them bend over so I could wipe, and then I would have them help me put the poopoo in the potty and flush it down. Then we'd say, "bye bye, poopoo!" and wave as it went down.

I never made a big deal about it as I didn't want them to feel bad. Our doctor said it could take months for them to learn how to poopoo on the toilet AFTER they could peepee on it. She said it was normal.. It took my oldest about 4 or 5 months to get it right (though he wet at night until he was about 9.5) and my younger it took about 2-3 days. Each child is different.

Just relax, he'll get it when his timing is right. I wouldn't push him. AND I wouldn't tell him he can't go to the 3yr old room until he does. That isn't fair to him as he can't help it. You can just tell him that the rule says that he has to stay in the 2yr old room.

Good luck!
JC

Last edited:
I used to baby sit a kid who didn't want to go #2 in the potty.
One day I told him how much fun it was to see if you could get the poo to splash water on his bottom because it tickled.
lol.png

His mom was not so amused, but when he was with me, he always used the toilet.

Back
Top Bottom