Need quick advice on my ducks please!

silversealilies

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
Hi all,
Will try to make a long story short, thanks for reading!
I have 5 mini silver appleyards - 3 boys and 2 girls. We made plans to keep the 3 boys as pets and give away the girls, before they hit duck puberty.
They’re not mating or attempting to mate yet, but just yesterday, two of the boys started attacking another boy, and by the end of the day they had completely ousted one boy. They won’t let him near them or near their food.
We separated the girls and boys, and will be bringing the girls to their new home today, but I wondered if once the girls are gone, will the boys ever all get along again, or is the damage done and the one boy duck will always be the outcast?

My only duck experience is with runners, and they, at least, seem to forgive and forget. Three of my original drakes grew up together and would have spats where one was the odd guy out, but later everybody got along again. Here's hoping that happens for you.

I generally find ducks sort out their issues fairly quickly. Our duck flocks frequently have additions and we put both flocks together every winter and separate again for breeding season. As of yet (5 years) we have never had to remove a member because they haven’t found their place
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom