Need quick answer - can I eat meat left by predator? Probably weasel.

amyamanda

Hatching
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I am guessing the answer is no, but I have to ask. Three of my hens were killed last night, almost certainly by a weasel. It was probably roughly six hours ago. Is it possible to salvage the meat?

I don't know ,

I personally wouldn't cause I would be worried about rabies. But perhaps someone with more knowledge will know , hope this bumps you up in the posts

That is very unhygienic and unhealthy. To think that people get salmonella food poisoning from even from not cooking long enough. That animal has bites on it where rabies can be transfered not to mention the other germs that wild animals carry. Also the predators live in filth. Chick raised to eat have to be raised in a controlled environment free from contaminates and diseases.

I hear some people even eat the rabid possums and raccoons but i don't think that is a good idea at all for your own health. Better be a vegetarian than fill your body with diseased animals.

Quote:
The average predator's den is far, far cleaner than the average chicken coop. And I can't speak for possum (yet), but don't knock raccoon 'til you try it.

If your chickens were killed by a raccoon - which tends to eat just the head and crop - or by a weasel - which tends to eat just the head and neck - I wouldn't let the rest go to waste.

Just had to say I don't agree that predators live in filth. They may not live in a sterile enviroment ( not many of us do either!), but unless they are hurt or in ill health most of them have a clean den or nest area. Might not be up to human standards but it's what's good for them.

Thanks for the input. I figured it was a long shot. We are unfortunately going to rehome the remaining hens today. We had ten (plus two guineas) and we are left with three. I don't think they'll survive the night, and we can't reinforce their pen well enough in time.

It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks.

No absolutely not.
There are even laws against it in most states and provinces!

Can you bring the survivors indoors in dog crate or something similar. This is pure horror for them knowing they will be attacked tonight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom