Need quick opinions on nest box/roosting bar arrangement

Just curious of what I would go with on the floor if not deep litter? Probably sounds like a dumb question but I’m feeling a bit brain fogged trying to get this coop done.
Confusion is probably due to terminology. Deep litter is a composting system of organic material and manure which requires some aeration and moisture (and optimally ground contact). Deep bedding is a dry "version" which can be kept dry and isn't going to compost in place. Generally a coop would have deep bedding, whereas deep litter would be better in a run or a more open air style coop with a dirt floor.

Confusion is probably due to terminology. Deep litter is a composting system of organic material and manure which requires some aeration and moisture (and optimally ground contact). Deep bedding is a dry "version" which can be kept dry and isn't going to compost in place. Generally a coop would have deep bedding, whereas deep litter would be better in a run or a more open air style coop with a dirt floor.
Oh goodness! Thank you for clarifying that for me! Deep bedding is what I'd be doing.

I went with the poop boards.

Just curious of what I would go with on the floor if not deep litter? Probably sounds like a dumb question but I’m feeling a bit brain fogged trying to get this coop done.

That’s a great point about the nest boxes being close to the pop door allowing dirty feet. I’m going to center it on the back wall and poop boards will be on both sides.

I finished on poop board yesterday. View attachment 3196673
I'm glad you went with poop boards. And yes you can use deep bedding on floor. I actually have poop board and deep bedding. I use the same pine mini shavings in all ... coop floor, nest boxes, and in the poop box under roost. I just use a heavy duty cat litter scooper for it. Just keep roost above nest boxes.
You did great you deserve the Milwaukee tools

Last edited:
I'm glad you went with poop boards. And yes you can use deep bedding on floor. I actually have poop board and deep bedding. I use the same pine mini shavings in all ... coop floor, nest boxes, and in the poop box under roost. I just use a heavy duty cat litter scooper for it. Just keep roost above nest boxes.
You did great you deserve the Milwaukee tools
That's interesting. I was considering pine in the poop box too. So you use the finer shavings then... I may do that in the future.
Those tools sure make life easier!

That's interesting. I was considering pine in the poop box too. So you use the finer shavings then... I may do that in the future.
Those tools sure make life easier!
Yes I do and we found a metal cat litter scoop which let's shavings fall through. I love my suspended poop box. Makes for an easy clean time. Once hens are older they poop BIG and pretty much in a line under roost. I had a wooden box/old crate that caught it on floor but then I had my honey suspend it 8" under my roost and that works great. When my run wasn't covered I used the large shavings in run for mud management. I do NOT like straw in run it turned into a layer of earth that was hard to dig down past. I just toss used bedding in composter or on ground in run and they keep it turned and voila its compost!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom