Need quick recipes

That's what I do with the hamburger meat. If it's on sale I will get several pounds and brown, drain and freeze in ziplocs. Also, THE best roast is a chuck roast because it has more fat. Take a roast , a pack of onion soup mix, toss in the crockpot, cover with water and cook until the roast sinks, then floats again. Toss in taters and carrots a few hours before ready to eat. Have you ever had sheperd's pie?

Quote:
I had considered making meatloaf the night before. Does that really work!?!?! That would be great!!!

I make all the meat mixes and such a week in advance,so easy to pull it out at night.... also I freeze everything once made even......just pull it out before work and its ready to pop in the oven.

Yes meatloaf does work as well. As a time saver I have Pre cooked meat loaf,meatballs and chicken as well.We eat alot of fajita's.I will cook chicken ahead,shred or chop in strips or cube for soups as well.I separate n bag them writing on the zip lock.I also keep frozen chopped up green peppers,onions,celery and even mushrooms so they are ready to go depending on"whats for dinner".In the fall n winter we love soups,stews n chilli,and scallop potatoes w/ham,,these can all be done on low in the crock pot or if you pre cook most ingredients,it will only be a few mins on the stove.I have even made rice ahead n kept in the frig for a quick spanish rice w/the fajita's.Stuffed peppers n cabbage rolls are great in the winter n I ALWAYS put them in the crock pot..My families favorite w/mash potaoes.I use tomato soup,pour it over the stuffed pepers n the kids love the sauce on the M.potatoes. Side salad/biscuits and/or fruit n you have the basics for a nice...quick..family meal regardless of what youve made.This time of year mine love apple crisp,rice pudding and peach cobbler,you can do these in the crock pot too..D.H is a big desert person and loves something sweet after dinner.Hope this helps so you can enjoy more family time V.S. kitchen time...It is a fun family thing on the weekend preparing the menu n food for a week or 2..

Thought of another quick one

Thick center cut pork chops - butterflied cut (I get mine at Costco)
A package of Stove Top dressing made to the directions
Casserole dish - sprayed with PAM cooking spray (got to have easy cleanup)
Place pork chop in casserole stuff with some stove top and fold over
Place remaining stove top around the edges
Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes
Serve with a green vegetable

Sandee

I made this tonight:

Green Chile Enchiladas serves 8
375 for 20-25 min.

1 1/2lbs. lean ground beef
3/4c fine chopped onion
1 TB chili powder
salt and pepper
3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2c sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can green chiles, chopped
8 to 12 flour tortillas

Brown ground beef with onion, drain fat. Stir in chili powder, s&p. Spoon meat mixture and some grated cheese on each tortilla. Roll up, put in greased baking dish. Combine soup, sour cream and green chiles, spoon over enchiladas.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, top with more cheese, bake 10 minutes more.

Yumm!
My family loved it! They said I will need to make it again and again!

Make Chilli or spaghetti with meat sauce or meatballs on the weekend.

Heat and eat on the chilli, just boil pasta and heat sauce on the spaghetti.

You can also make up the meat for tacos or burritos ahead of time, and just heat that plus some refried or black beans. It's even quicker if you get lettuce, tomato, etc for toppings chopped and ziplock bagged the night before.

It's not much, but I love it and when I was in college I ate it for weeks at a time because it was cheap!! My Dad made it for us kids on the nights that Mom had to work as she said she ate too much of it growing up poor. (she doesn't eat peas anymore either for the same reason, lol)

Poor Man Stew

In a heavy bottom pot, brown 1lb ground chuck and 1 chopped onion(you can use better beef or plain hamburger. I like the ground chuck because it seems to have just the right amount of fat) Do not drain

You can stop right here and add water and a thickener to make a gravy and serve over biscuits or mashed taters,or you can move on to the next step.

3lbs potatoes thinly sliced (Pop takes the skins off, I leave them on) cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are done. Add a thickener to make the gravy.

We always splashed a bit of vinegar over it in our bowl/plates with some salt and pepper.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom