Need Recipe Please

animalsRawesome

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Ok, this sounds really dumb, IK. I can't even remember what the stuff was called LOL, but it looked so good! It was in last month's issue of Cooks Country Magazine... it was on the front cover. The cover of the magazine was red if that helps... It was this custard stuff... IDK, lol, it just looked so good, and I was going to buy the magazine, but then they got the new month's issue in at the store before I made it back in to buy it. I looked online for it, but couldn't find it. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Haha Thanks!

No, I don't have the recipe sorry, but you CAN sign up on that site and get a free, 14 day trial membership and then just cancel it after you get your recipe and the 14 days are up.

If you're not comfortable doing that, just say so and I'll sign up myself and get the recipe for you.

This isn't recipe from magazine article. It's same (maybe different ingredients and directions) dish from a google search.

Grandma's Lemon Snow with Custard Sauce

Lemon Snow:

1 tablespoon gelatin (unflavored)

1/4 cup cold water

1 speck salt (she means "pinch")

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (*see note re leftover lemon)

2 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar

Custard Sauce:

2 eggs

3 tablespoons sugar

1 "dash" salt (again, she means "pinch")

1 1/2 cup whole milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Combine gelatin and cold water in a bowl and soak for 5 minutes. The water will absorb the gelatin and get semi-solid. Then, add 1 c. boiling water and stir into gelatin until it's all dissolved.

2. Next, add the pinch of salt, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir to mix, then put the bowl in the fridge to cool until it becomes thick - not solid. (You know it is thickened when the mixture "jiggles" when you shake it slightly.)

3. In a separate bowl beat two egg whites and gradually add in sugar until there are stiff white peaks. Then, beat the thickened gel mixture until frothy. Working carefully, fold the gel mixture into the egg whites and put the mixture in the fridge to chill until firm.

4. To make the custard sauce, set up a double-boiler with a heatproof bowl over boiling water. In it beat the eggs, sugar, salt and milk. Cook over the boiling water until custard becomes thick. (Note: my grandmother circled "Stir Constantly" to emphasize the importance of this).

5. Once the custard is thick, remove the bowl from the heat and place it in a larger bowl filled with ice. Add in the vanilla and stir the custard to cool it down quickly. Place it in the fridge to cool completely.

6. When both mixtures are cooled pile the lemon snow into a big bowl and drizzle it with the custard sauce. It should look like a big poof of airy-jello and taste like lemon meringue pie.

7. Note: This dessert does contain raw eggs, so people should exercise caution as needed. I always use the freshest eggs possible when making this.

8. Note: My grandmother always told me to save lemons that had been juiced and/or zested for stuffing roasted chicken!

Last edited:
CMB19- Thank you!!! And Thank you Texas!!!

Here is the one that I got off of the cooks country weebsite:
Lemon Snow with Custard Sauce

April/May 2012
SFS_LemonSnowwithCustardSauce-13.jpg;maxwidth=268

Why this recipe works:
Lemon snow is a lemon-flavored egg white foam, lightly set with gelatin. It’s fresher and lighter than most desserts but satisfies a sweet craving all the same. It is almost always served with custard sauce made from milk or cream and thickened with egg yolks. Many of the recipes we tried included an overwhelming amount of lemon zest or lemon extract, making the snow more reminiscent of cleaning products than a dusting of fresh snow. We found that losing the lemon extract and using a combination of lemon juice and a modest amount of lemon zest gave us the fresh, not overpowering lemon flavor we sought. Most recipes call for whipping egg whites separately from a lemon gel made from sugar, water, lemon juice and zest, and gelatin. We found that the two parts could be whipped together and that this method yielded a more compact, almost creamy texture to the dish.

Serves 8 to 10
If you’re concerned about eating raw egg whites, use pasteurized shell eggs. Plan ahead, as both the gelatin mixture and the “snow” need to chill. To reduce the chilling time, place the bowl with the gelatin mixture over a second, larger bowl of ice water and stir occasionally. To make Orange Snow, use orange juice and zest in place of the lemon.

IngredientsLEMON SNOW
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest plus 1/3 cup juice (2 lemons)
  • Pinch salt
  • 3 large egg whites
CUSTARD SAUCE
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions
  • 1. FOR THE LEMON SNOW: Place cold water in medium bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Whisk boiling water into mixture until gelatin dissolves. Whisk sugar, lemon zest and juice, and salt into gelatin mixture until dissolved. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool and slightly gelatinous, about 2 hours.
  • 2. Combine egg whites and gelatin mixture in stand mixer fitted with whisk. Whip on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-high and whip until soft peaks form, 11 to 14 minutes. Scrape lemon snow into bowl, or divide among dessert glasses, and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
  • 3. FOR THE CUSTARD SAUCE: Whisk egg yolks, sugar, and salt in bowl until combined. Bring milk to boil in small saucepan. Slowly stir milk into yolk mixture with wooden spoon. Return milk-yolk mixture to pot, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is slightly thickened and registers 175 to 180 degrees, 2 to 4 minutes. Pour through fine-mesh strainer into 2-cup liquid measuring cup. Stir in butter and vanilla until incorporated. Refrigerate until cool and serve with Lemon Snow.

Back
Top Bottom