Need recomendations or suggestions Hatching chicks dying in the shell

rburington

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2020
Help, the last two incubator loads have had several chicks dying in the shell as they are trying or just before trying to get out.
The incubator temp is at 99.5 degrees with very little fluctuation and humidity is about 68 to 70%. The chicks pip the shell and never get any farther or some times they pip then start to unzip around the shell but never make it out. this last batch had 7 that ended that way. I am wondering about the oxygen level and maybe more ventilation or space could be needed. the incubator olds 54 eggs but when removed from the auto turner they seem very crowded also the fertile rate right now is less than 30% maybe less. I try to get all the infertile eggs out but also worry about opening and closing the incubator for to long or to often to get all the bad eggs out. so some bad eggs get left in till after the good ones hatch. I think I'm going to start only putting only 2 dozen eggs at a time in the incubator and try that.
Recommendations?.

The chickens health needs to be taken into account too. If the chickens that are laying the hatching eggs are being given a 18-20% complete feed and are healthy birds in general then I'd start thinking about the incubating part.

You can salt test the hygrometer. I would double check the thermometers as well, I’ve had ones that showed the same temp but were actually just both off by the same amount. I compare mine to a medical thermometer, but the ice test is supposed to be pretty reliable as well.
I do wonder if there could be issues with the breeding stock. Where are you getting your eggs from? Is it the same birds every time?

Poor hatches can be due to problems with bacteria...many swear by pre-dipping in a bleach solution and then air-drying eggs. I know, most don't wash or dip hatching eggs to keep bloom intact, however, if trouble arises, this may be the answer... 2 teaspoons of bleach in 1 quart of water. Mixture needs to be warmer than the eggs (usually 104 degrees F should do it) Dip clean eggs (not cleaned, but eggs collected that are already free from dirt and poop) air dry and start incubating the dry, room temperature eggs. Eggs that are cold (but not refrigerated temp..this is too cold) need to be warmed at room temperature before they are incubated so the condensation doesn't sweat up the outside and bring moisture , along with the bacteria partying in it, into the egg and damage the embryo

On a side note:
Please use caution with HHD incubators...
I purchased an HHD 36 egg mini incubator and just hatched out my first batch of baby chicks. The 2 fans in the incubator are covered with white plastic slats. It is best practice to keep chicks in the incubator until they are dry before moving them to the brooder. 2 of my baby chicks put their beaks easily into the fan (the slats are way too far apart to keep the little babies safe). THE FANS CHOPPED THE ENDS OF THEIR BEAKS OFF!!!!! The little injured chicks bled all over the incubator and I had to remove all the chicks right after they were born and blow their little wet bodies dry by hand with a hair dryer, as the humidity was far too high.

Back
Top Bottom