Need recommendations on rooster breeds that will protect from hawk attacks

:welcome :frowIf a hawk gets the opportunity it will kill even a rooster/cockerel. I have large pens for my birds. I have all of my pens covered with heavy duty netting and the birds stay in them I have let them out but we have a lot of predators. Usually when I do let the birds out they may come out, but not for long and before I realize it they are all back in their pens. Last year a fox got my favorite bird while she was dust bathing in the gardens. A Red Tail hawk got into one of my pens through a small opening in my netting which I have since fixed. It killed totally 23 birds. I checked the birds that morning and they were fine. I had a doctor appointment and several errands to do so I was gone for quite awhile. When I came home I heard the birds seriously fussing so I knew something was wrong. I went out to the pens and saw several bodies on the ground and then saw the hawk. I have since repaired some places and put some new heavy duty netting up. Here are a few of the dead birds I pulled out, most were pullets.

IMG_20190911_173150.jpg

My Golden Sebright rooster use to scare them off, but since we had to give him away, :[, I have been having to scare them away. For the past few months there has been at least 4 of them flying around and landing in the tree right next to the run. Scares the poor chickens to death. I have been thinking of a hawk trap. They have a nest in one of our trees I think. Really need to get rid of them before spring so I can let my chickens out so they can play in peace. They have been cooped up in their pen since it got cold and it is soo muddy here it's just awful. Plus The water brings water moccasins around in the warm weather, so I can't even let them out if there is almost a pond in our back yard, which is pretty much constantly around here. I need to get it drained, but the cost to have anything now these days is outrageous.

:welcome :frowIf a hawk gets the opportunity it will kill even a rooster/cockerel. I have large pens for my birds. I have all of my pens covered with heavy duty netting and the birds stay in them I have let them out but we have a lot of predators. Usually when I do let the birds out they may come out, but not for long and before I realize it they are all back in their pens. Last year a fox got my favorite bird while she was dust bathing in the gardens. A Red Tail hawk got into one of my pens through a small opening in my netting which I have since fixed. It killed totally 23 birds. I checked the birds that morning and they were fine. I had a doctor appointment and several errands to do so I was gone for quite awhile. When I came home I heard the birds seriously fussing so I knew something was wrong. I went out to the pens and saw several bodies on the ground and then saw the hawk. I have since repaired some places and put some new heavy duty netting up. Here are a few of the dead birds I pulled out, most were pullets.

IMG_20190911_173150.jpg
Image is broken for me..anybody else?
And if a hawk can kill a goose, they can surely kill most roosters.

Just information, and depending on your local wildlife office and state authorities, something to consider. You can take birds that are killing your livestock with appropriate federal and state permits.

State is easier to me, but it's all doable if you do the footwork, document the damage and have photographic support. When Submitted complete and correct, they can be approved. See copy from federal publication about obtaining depredation permits.

. To obtain a federal depredation permit, first contact your local USDA-APHIS Wildlife Services (WS) office. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and state wildlife agencies may issue depredation permits allowing for lethal control of problem hawks and owls, but will do so only if nonlethal methods of controlling damage have failed or are impractical and if it is determined that killing the offending birds will alleviate the problem. Permittees may kill hawks or owls listed on the permit using a shotgun not larger than 10-gauge, fired from the shoulder and only within the area described by the permit. Proper firearm safety is of the utmost importance, especially in confined areas or extra-sensitive situations, such as active airfields or in populated areas. Permittees may not use blinds or other means of concealment, or decoys or calls to lure birds within gun range.

Back
Top Bottom