Need run ideas

INChicken

Hatching
Feb 24, 2023
I'm using a portion of our old barn for the coop, theres a 9x9 room that I can add a couple things too and make predator proof on the inside, however I'm going to make a ramp for them to get over the small concrete wall then cut a hole for a run outside. Trying to figure out the best/cheapest/easiest way to make a run.. right now we have 5 chickens coming, possibly 2-3 more. Any thoughts would be great. I have tons of old lumber in my barn, along with some aluminum roofing sheets. Would need to get hardware cloth/chicken wire.

Here’s mine. 7 x 14 x 7 high. 4x base with 2x4 studs. covered with 1x2 welded wire on top.

Attachments

• 4579C403-3D78-40B4-9FCB-2EFB4B7F23F1.jpeg
    4579C403-3D78-40B4-9FCB-2EFB4B7F23F1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I'm going to make a ramp for them to get over the small concrete wall then cut a hole for a run outside.
How high is this wall?

What kind of run you build may depend on your climate...so.....

Welcome to BYC! @INChicken
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1677333741486.png

What kind of lumber?

If it is fir 2x4s and pine boards then you may be much further ahead to buy treated 4x4s for the posts. Even more so if it is old wood (very dry); it won't last long in contact with the ground. If posts are set in cement then they do not last as long whether or not they are treated or a naturally rot resistant wood like osage orange or black locust. Posts cost less than time and hassle of replacing posts in a couple few years.

Back
Top Bottom