Need serious predator help :(

DreadedMoonMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
Ok, so I'll probably go out and take pictures tomorrow so you guys can help me out more thoroughly, but I'm keeping myself from being overwhelmed with sadness by keeping my mind working, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask for suggestions while I'm up anyway.

Over the last week we've been losing birds like crazy. I believe we had...13? maybe at the beginning of this week. I now have 5. 1 was found dead in the run (looked like something tried to eat it through the bars) and 1 was found dead in the coop, so we tightened up any spots we found where we thought they could get in. I wasn't home to close the run door tonight but we usually don't need to anyway as we *thought* all sides were buried plenty (we are renting and the coop was already here). Well, apparently it wasn't, and tonight I came home to find one more bird dead and very obvious dig holes outside of the run. So at least now we know it's a fox or dog or something similar, anyway (we had a raccoon attack last year and until now I figured that was what was happening again).

I'm just not sure how to make my coop completely predator proof. :( There is a door I can shut to the run, so that will help until we can get the run sufficiently safe again (I'm thinking buried fence for 18" or so, then an 18" apron, or does that seem like overkill?). But the big problem is that half of the coop is what you could call a "run" - the coop is basically 2 rooms - one room with 3 walls of wood, the fourth wall of wood with a section missing leading to the second room, which shares the wood wall with the cutout, a wood back wall, and then the other 2 walls are completely made of hardware cloth. One wall of hardware cloth is shared with the run. Now technically I could put ALL the chickens in the wood room, make sure I close off the run, and put a door between the two rooms. BUT I have the two rooms to keep my flocks separate - I keep my boys in the mesh room to keep them from stressing out the girls. But if the fox can get into the run, it can dig into the second room, too, either through the run or under the other side wall of hardware cloth (I'm not sure how deep that side is buried).

Obviously the best bet would be to tear the whole thing down and build a newer, safer coop from scratch, but as I said, we don't own this house and can't (and my husband won't) make huge improvements like that to a place we don't own. So I need to be able to fix this up as best I can. I have 19 babies right now, 13 of which will be ready to go into the coop in the next month.

Sorry for your loss. We had a problem with raccoons.... we had 4 huge raccoons come and kill a bunch of our chickens.... We ended up building a new coop. I would say put cement under the coop but.... you know... Hmmmmmm. Im not sure what else you can do... sorry
idunno.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. "I'm thinking buried fence for 18" or so, then an 18" apron, or does that seem like overkill?" I like your Idea of both but those with more experience may tell you it's overkill. If your rooms are tall enough, could you install raised floors to enclose the hen house and protect from digging predators? Hang in there.

It would be easy enough to add a mesh skirt out from the run fencing and or coop without the need to dig deep trenches and bury mesh. Attach the skirt with blanket staples (bag of 100 for about $7). Predators dig at fence line and not way out to tunnel. Hope this helps.

It would be easy enough to add a mesh skirt out from the run fencing and or coop without the need to dig deep trenches and bury mesh. Attach the skirt with blanket staples (bag of 100 for about $7). Predators dig at fence line and not way out to tunnel. Hope this helps.

I thought about this, but my next thought is that if it's not dug down, what's to keep them from digging under the skirt? My yard is slanted down towards the coop, so unfortunately the coop gets most of the runoff and the ground around it is just soft, easy-to-move dirt. I'm not sure how to attach the skirt to the ground in a way they won't just pull the skirt up and go under it.

I have had great results with electrified poultry netting from Premier. I have fox problems here, along with a range of other predators. I surrounded my coop with the electric fence. It has been up for just over a full year, and I haven't had any further problems. The netting comes in different heights and lengths. You can power it with household electric, or solar. It would be a quick fix for you problem, and a lot easier to install then digging in a wire fence.
Jack

We are new to chickens. We have been building our coop. We built it from a chain link dog pen. Covered it with chicken wire. Along the bottom my husband is tying in some fencing a neighbor gave us. It's like chain link fence that's coated to prevent rusting. He curled it up under the bottom and fastened with think wire. Added tent stakes along middle and outer section. I will try to upload a pic. Hope this helps.

I got the skirt dug in today. Used 36" hardware cloth (1/4"), and put 2 ft against the run and 1 foot skirt out the side. I think it's going to work, and as a plus, I hopefully won't lose any more through the fence anymore with the 2" of hardware cloth protection over it. Sadly we're still losing them before they come in for the night, so it looks like we aren't going to be free-ranging anytime soon, although that creates its own problem because the run is fairly small and there hasn't been grass there for years. :/

Back
Top Bottom