Need some Advice about Roosters!!

Roosters crow for pretty much everything. They make lots of different noises actually. My rooster can mimic a hens laying squawk perfectly, as well as a variety of other such noises and calls. What your rooster is doing is probably releasing a bit of tension at being in a new place with new friends etc. Give him some time to adjust and get used to the new routine in his new surroundings; he ought to quiet down a bit then because he won't be stressed by the new place. Do you have a picture of you new roo? Would love to see him!

I was not being rude, I simply based the information that I posted before on this clue.

It simply amazes me how "some" of the newest members will post a question and then get all out of whack when they don't want to hear the answers that some one gives them.......

But, that's ok with me, good luck to your rooster !

Quote:
Yep, and the posts from uppitypeon and chickytocks are right on, too. Give him some time! He may turn out to be the epitome of the perfect rooster after he settles in.

As for enola, I do not think she was trying to be rude. I've not known her to be rude in other posts. I think she was making the point that if you are new to roosters, your expectations may be different from reality with roos, or that not having a baseline of experience from which to draw, what may be normal crowing may seem excessive. ALL DAY crowing is not usually long-lasting; as previously pointed out by other posts. If you can grit your teeth and hang in there, you may be pleasantly surprised. Also, please try to remember that we don't have the added benefit of vocal tones and facial expressions when we read/post to the internet. Flat text may be taken in a way it was not intended.
smile.png
Please give the roo a chance, and welcome to BYC.

tamvan: I ended up with 5 roosters. One of them crowed all the time till bedtime. Others did not at all. It does get annoying. We only raise for eggs to eat so we didnt need the roosters and gave them to someone who wanted to raise them. SOme of these people here are touchy-dont pay attention to them. It was funny to listen in the beggining to the cocka dooing but it got obnoxious after a while.

My 2 roosters crow all day long at each other. Particulalry if they are cooped up and there's nothing else to do, it can go on and on for a while.

Are you home with them all day? Or only in the morning and evenings, when he may be more prone to crowing.

Something else to keep in mind is that I at least got used to it and pretty effectively tune it out. Don't even notice it.

In response to your earlier question, hens go broody to hatch eggs. If you collect them the same day or so they are laid, there won't be anything more than a very small fleck at most to show they're fertile.

Yup, thats what roosters do. I put a shade up in the coop window and that helps with the 'early early' crowing serenade (I have 7 roosters)
As for crowing outside..thats all part of the humorous chicken package..not to mention all the other noises..and ALERT noises they make. He's just telling everyone that he's in town and this is his flock., sounds like a good rooster to me.

My roosters crow more when someone is in the yard a dog, cat, me, bird, squirrel they just wanna show who's the boss. My Sebrights have always crowed the most. I have a Modern Game Roo Bantam that doesn't crow too much and his crows are pretty quiet but shrilly.

Quote:
I am a stay at home Mom, so I'm home 24/7 pretty much! I hear every crow, because thier cop is right next to the house. My yard is all fenced-but it's not very big. I guess I'm just not use to behaviours of Roosters and I'm worried about upsetting close by nieghbors, thank goodness I've had a nice chat with them and they are being cool about it.

I had three in the coop and they were all trying to out do one another. I put them in a separate pen and I hardly hear them anymore.

Actually just too the younger one of the bunch (A GC Maran) and put him in with the hens and I hardly ever hear him.

Back
Top Bottom