Need some advice for 12 week chickens

Kate6790

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2021
I posted a few days ago concerned one of my new 12 week old chickens had worms. I was informed it was shed intestinal lining in the poop. I've been watching her pretty closely and noticed she poops intestinal lining first thing in the morning and then the rest of the day it's normal poop. I got these 3 chickens 2 weeks ago, and so far they've been acting like normal chicks. Running around, establishing their pecking order, eating and drinking, taking treats from me. Could she possibly have coccidiosis? She has no symptoms besides the weird poop in the morning and her 2 sisters aren't having weird poop at all. Is there any reason for me to be concerned about the intestinal lining poop, or is this normal for a growing chickens. I will add that I have 3 other chickens that I've had for 4 years and raised them since they were a day old. I've never seen this before and it's making me nervous these new girls might have something. Attached is a picture of her poop from this morning. I put some ACV in their water on Wednesday and started putting garlic in their food in case it is worms.

Attachments

• 20210618_063553.jpg
    20210618_063553.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 16
That does look like intestinal shed, but since she is having it a lot, I would probably just add Corid to the water for 5-7 days. It would not hurt to worm them with Valbazen after that. Dosage is 1/4 ml for a 3 pound chicken given orally once and repeated in 10 days to get the worm eggs. For a 5-6 pound chicken give 1/2 ml. Many regular vets will test the droppings for worms and coccidia with a fecal float, especially if you are taking in a pet for other reasons.

Back
Top Bottom